Sunshade

Andy & Judy

I have a 2017 JK 2 door hardtop. I am looking at maybe putting on one of the sunshades for the driver and passenger area...so it's just the front. I'm looking at either the Spiderweb or Alien sunshade. Does anyone know or have installed one on a hardtop with out removing the rear section of the hard top?

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I run the spiderweb shade. It's super easy to install. You could could unbolt the hard top and push up on it to get it installed, no need to take it all the way off if you don't want to.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mikecal9985

I had it on my and the only complaint I have is that it’s a pain in the ass to undo the middle locking knob in the middle back section of the freedom panels....once that’s done the spiderweb shade works great

zimm

Caught the Bug
Spiderwebshade. Awesome quality, made in the USA, and I've watched the install video about 10 times. :thumb: (If you haven't seen it, look it up)

PokerStogey

Agree with the Spiderweb Shade quality and ease of use, bought one last year and love it. I could however, see it being a slight pain to try and install with rear of top completely in place.

Vinnielax

I have the Spiderweb full shade. I think it would take longer to try to put it on under the hard top (with the top on) than to remove the hard to and do the quick install.

zimm

Caught the Bug
You'll need to lift the hard top. If you don't want to lift it all the way off, you could unbolt it and put some sections of 2x4 between the top and body to make room for you hands to get the spider balls put on.

Andy & Judy

Thank you guys for all the info! Curious though once on how much of a pain is it to put the freedom panels back on once the shade is installed??

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
I run the Spiderweb Shade on my 4dr with the soft top. In my experience it’s not as effortless to put the soft top up & down and work around the shade as their marketing would have you believe. I had to undo two of the bungees to release the latches at the windshield header to fold the top. I would imaging you’d have to do the same for the freedom tops. And I’d guess as mentioned the center rear closure would be the most difficult to release. That said the Spiderweb shade is a great product and I’d buy one again, as far as design, I didn’t see many variances between the several shade products I looked at.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I run the Spiderweb Shade on my 4dr with the soft top. In my experience it’s not as effortless to put the soft top up & down and work around the shade as their marketing would have you believe. I had to undo two of the bungees to release the latches at the windshield header to fold the top. I would imaging you’d have to do the same for the freedom tops. And I’d guess as mentioned the center rear closure would be the most difficult to release. That said the Spiderweb shade is a great product and I’d buy one again, as far as design, I didn’t see many variances between the several shade products I looked at.

I don't need to remove any bungies. The top is super strong. I can pull it down firmly to get enough room to latch and unlatch the soft top.

As for the hard top- I run without the front center bungie because it gets in the way. Getting the center freedom panel lever is really tough, I jam my arm though up over the shade. Then the 2 bolts are a pain to line up through the holes. You don't have to run the bolts through.

On the 4 door, I found it was easy to remove the forward 5 bungies and fold the shade back, using 2 corner bungies to hold it back in place. Then the front is open, easy to take off panels, but the kids are shaded in the back seats.

Vinnielax

Thank you guys for all the info! Curious though once on how much of a pain is it to put the freedom panels back on once the shade is installed??

The shade doesn’t interfere with the freedom panels. You will need to poke a hole in the shade to screw down the panels but that’s it. But you can remove or put them back on with ease.

Top Bottom