Let’s talk JL Lift kits.

Sylermack

Hey WAYALIFE family. I wanted to ask your opinion about lift kits. I'm trying to decide between the mopar kit or the EVO stage 4 overland with shock extensions. I see the difference is that the mopar kit comes with the larger springs and shocks. Is there a disadvantage to using spacers? And if I go with EVO, can I easily upgrade to larger springs and shocks at a later time? when my wallet has recovered some. I’m completely new to all of this.
So information on how I plan to use my JLUR
I’m looking at Toyo 37’s still debating between 17 inch and 20 inch rims. I daily Drive take the kids to and from school crawl the mall. And once a week take a 300 mile round-trip drive. And when I can I absolutely intended to take it off road as often as I can find the time.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey WAYALIFE family. I wanted to ask your opinion about lift kits. I'm trying to decide between the mopar kit or the EVO stage 4 overland with shock extensions. I see the difference is that the mopar kit comes with the larger springs and shocks. Is there a disadvantage to using spacers?

Yes and no. The advantage of running coil spacers and shock extensions is that they are affordable, easy to install and allow you to retain 100% of your factory ride quality being that nothing is replace and you still run everything that came on your Jeep. The disadvantage is that you will not have as much stuff when fully articulated and this is due to limited up travel in your shocks and of course, the much taller bump stop extensions you'll have to run. New lift coils with longer shocks will not have this limitation or at least, not as much anyway.

I should note that with the EVO kit, you should be able to run 37's BECAUSE of the up travel limitation. You will NOT be able to run 37's with the Mopar kit or at least, not unless you're running a really small 37 like a BFG and a wheel with just the right amount of back spacing.

And if I go with EVO, can I easily upgrade to larger springs and shocks at a later time? when my wallet has recovered some. I’m completely new to all of this.

Yes. If you get the kit with the adjustable control arms, you can literally upgrade your coils and shocks at a later date and keep everything else.

So information on how I plan to use my JLUR
I’m looking at Toyo 37’s still debating between 17 inch and 20 inch rims. I daily Drive take the kids to and from school crawl the mall. And once a week take a 300 mile round-trip drive. And when I can I absolutely intended to take it off road as often as I can find the time.

You do NOT want to run 20" rims with 37" tires as they will leave you with very little sidewall to work with on the trail. Also, tires are typically cheaper in a 17" as they are a more common size.

Exodus 4x4

Can’t say for sure what the Mopar lift rides like, but with the EVO lift you’re going to retain that factory ride since you aren’t changing springs or shocks. Being that you aren’t going to be doing much, if any wheeling with it, I would just go with the EVO lift.

You can also stick with the stock wheels and just run spacers. I’m not aware of anyone making spacers for them yet but you can have JK spacers opened up to accommodate the larger 14mm lugs on the JL.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sylermack

I should note that with the EVO kit, you should be able to run 37's BECAUSE of the up travel limitation. You will NOT be able to run 37's with the Mopar kit or at least, not unless you're running a wheel with just the right amount of back spacing.

Yes. If you get the kit with the adjustable control arms, you can literally upgrade your coils and shocks at a later date and keep everything else.

Thanks so much for the reply. I really appreciate it. I decided to order the "EVO MFG 2.5" JL EXTREME OVERLAND BOOST STAGE 4 W/ SHOCK EXTENSIONS", model number EVO-3002S4-EXT.

Now, my question is, when I decide to upgrade the coils and shocks and no longer use extensions, is it just a matter of getting the right size coils and shocks in order to keep running the 37's without any limitations? Or is the backspacing still going to be an issue? If so, do you happen to know what backspacing is required?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks so much for the reply. I really appreciate it. I decided to order the "EVO MFG 2.5" JL EXTREME OVERLAND BOOST STAGE 4 W/ SHOCK EXTENSIONS", model number EVO-3002S4-EXT.

Now, my question is, when I decide to upgrade the coils and shocks and no longer use extensions, is it just a matter of getting the right size coils and shocks in order to keep running the 37's without any limitations? Or is the backspacing still going to be an issue? If so, do you happen to know what backspacing is required?

Great choice! That's what we'll be running as well. EVO will be selling lift coils and shocks very soon and you should be able to just swap them in. Back spacing will not need to be addressed at that time. From what I've been told by EVO, 3.5" to 4.5" of back spacing is what you'd want to run.

wildwoodjk

The MOPAR Fox 2” lift ride on the street is excellent. It is close to the stock ride. I haven’t been off-road yet. Rocks are limited in MO. Mud is easy to find!
IMG_5498.jpg . Tires are Toyo Open Country RT 33’s. Clearance is not an issue. 35’s would easily work as well.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

dillard09

The MOPAR Fox 2” lift ride on the street is excellent. It is close to the stock ride. I haven’t been off-road yet. Rocks are limited in MO. Mud is easy to find!
View attachment 295496 . Tires are Toyo Open Country RT 33’s. Clearance is not an issue. 35’s would easily work as well.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
Looks good. Could def easily fit some 37s in there with just that 2" lift. I'm still not sold on the front fenders yet but the interior is down right awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom