Front or Rear First

CerOf

So I've installed a few lifts, about 7 now. I've always been able to complete them in one day.

I've also never been busier in my life, including coaching my daughter's soccer team amongst other family activities.

If I have to split the lift up over two days/weekends and can only do the front or only do the rear and still drive it....my questions are: :thumb:

1) Is this even doable?
2) I'd think to do the rear first and the front on the next day/following weekend?

Yes, it will look stupid :cheesy: but my wife and kiddo's come first. :honey:

CerOf

You and me both. But other than looking goofy as heck, any issues?

As I think it through, each step I don't see any mechanical issues doing rear first and having to drive this way. I anticipate handling to be funny.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It really depends on how tall you're going but, yeah, if I had to choose a side to do first, I would do the rear as it goes faster and doesn't involve steering.

Moe jk

Agreed from wayoflife rear is easier, but a tad bit more info would help.. Are you doing upper and lower arms? or just springs and shocks? Are you going from stock to what size lift.. I personally would wait and do it all at the same time..

CerOf

Going from a leveling kit (spacers) to AEV 3.5. No rear control arms to jack with should make it really fast! Tempted to leave the leveling kit in there. We'll see.

Rear should be quick and easy. I'd likely get the rear done Saturday morning and start in on the front very late afternoon and finish up after church Sunday. I just need to drive Saturday early afternoon. My wife is working several Saturdays so no alternate vehicle.

I've got a soccer game early afternoon and am the coach. :) they're getting pretty good. They are playing to feet and no bumble bees and my goalie can punt the ball to mid-field! Not bad for 2nd graders.

I won't have a full day to devote until May. I'll take a pic of my "Hoopty rollin', front bumper draggin', heaters damn hot and my wife is naggin'"

That song is making me feel aged...

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I would think the rear would be best to start with, and then the fronts. If you do this tho, please take some pics. Should have some hotrod rake going on with that.

Jeeper_2010

I'm in a similar predicament. I have a 3.5" RK lift. Would it be possible to install the springs and come back to the arms later?

CerOf

Shoot, arms are easy, but the project can stretch longer than you may like. The handling and driving with stock arms would not be that fun. You will for sure need to do the track bars/relocation brackets to even drive.

I would have finished everything today but cross threaded a bolt and ultimately snapped it in half. The high steer portion is taking me longer than I budgeted because of the snapped bolt.

Rear is done and it drove ok for a few short blocks. Definitely a hot rod look.

Top Bottom