Jk rear spring question

Xhisors

Hey there,

I have had an interesting knocking going on. It happens in the right wheel area. This knock is not consistent for the most part. I can replicate this sound easily by finding a left turn and going over a decent bump while turning at a decent speed.

The sound is like if someone closed a cabinet in the kitchen and you heard it while in another room of the house.

The only other way I can replicate the noise is if I’m fully loaded with 1000lbs in the car(people and gear).

Things its not as I have tested and or triple checked:

-Upper and lower control arms are good and torqued to spec

-trac bar is torqued to spec and not hitting the spring.

-Sway bar links are good

-shocks: these were recently replaced this past weekend. I thought this was the issue as the ruby shocks were bad and the right rear had about 5” of no resistance. Bolts are torqued to spec.

-all the bushings look good.

What I haven’t really looked at is the spring and spacer. I’m a little unfamiliar with this but does anything look wrong here:

IMG_1558.jpg
IMG_1557.jpg
IMG_1554.jpg
IMG_1553.JPG
IMG_1548.jpg

It looks a little off to me, like it unseated itself at the top. But if it truly was unseated wouldn’t it make noise all the damn time? Any guidance would be awesome! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

CrazyTrainJK

Caught the Bug
What lift are you running ? Do you have bump stop extensions in the rear ? Might check and see if the track bar bolt on the passenger body side is hitting your bump stop extension if you are running them.

Xhisors

What lift are you running ? Do you have bump stop extensions in the rear ? Might check and see if the track bar bolt on the passenger body side is hitting your bump stop extension if you are running them.

I have metalcloak bumpstops. I put a go pro down there and recorded the track bar and it cleared everything.

I have a 2” spacer lift. Not sure on brand as the previous owner put it on and i cant find any brand info.

I instantly thought track bar but its not hitting anything. Which is why I’m now think the spring isn’t seated correctly. I don’t know how to tell that though, still learning.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Check to see if your passenger side rear coil might be making contact with your track bar. This is common if you have a good amount of spring bow especially when running certain aftermarket track bars.

Xhisors

Check to see if your passenger side rear coil might be making contact with your track bar. This is common if you have a good amount of spring bow especially when running certain aftermarket track bars.

Ill try and check it out again. Though in the video i took it didn’t make any contact.

Buckeyedave

Do you have an aftermarket rear bumper? I was having the same type of noise from the passenger side in the rear, and it took me a month or so to find out it was my rear bumper hitting the corner of the body. Somehow the bolts loosened up enough to allow the bumper to shift in that corner. Just something else to look at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xhisors

Do you have an aftermarket rear bumper? I was having the same type of noise from the passenger side in the rear, and it took me a month or so to find out it was my rear bumper hitting the corner of the body. Somehow the bolts loosened up enough to allow the bumper to shift in that corner. Just something else to look at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill double check, I have AEV bumpers. I have pushed and pulled it around and it never moved but ill check all the bolts tonight.

Top Bottom