Changing evo rockskin bolt color

jmayps

Looking to order some black nutsurt bolts to replace the ones I currently have on the JK holding up my evo rockskins. Anybody happen to know what size the bolts are though? I think it’s 1/4-20 but not sure the length or if that even matters.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I went the black bolt route. I'm pretty sure I put the exact bolts in my build thread. I like them, but it would have been just as easy (and probably a little less expensive) to just paint what came with the skins.

Edit: I bought 1/4-20 x 3/4" Black Oxide bolts. It was only $25.38 for 110 of them (MTG wanted some too). So really, the price was minimal if it's something you like and don't want to touch up what you have with paint periodically.

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
Any reason why you don't just paint what you have black? :idontknow:

This is exactly what I was thinking. Not like you're going to remove them and have holes all over your Jeep.

Me personally, I actually like the stainless bolts and have taped them off when touching up my skins.

Ddays

Hooked
If you live in an area where they salt the roads or the environment itself is corrosive, like near the ocean, be prepared for the black oxide coating to rust. Ask me how I know. I went back to stainless after one winter. I would paint yours black.

RSQCON

I don't recall what size the hardware is but I reaplaced it with with all stainless as well. I countersunk all the hardware for a smoothe clean look. Had the rockers and hardware painted at the same time.. All painted parts were zinc plated, powder coated and then painted. It's a long process but so far everything is holding up great.

RSQCON

If you live in an area where they salt the roads or the environment itself is corrosive, like near the ocean, be prepared for the black oxide coating to rust. Ask me how I know. I went back to stainless after one winter. I would paint yours black.
I have a couple bolts that are black oxide. I painted them and used grease on the threads. So far no rust.

Ddays

Hooked
I have a couple bolts that are black oxide. I painted them and used grease on the threads. So far no rust.

Sure that should work, but why pay the extra to buy black oxide bolts and then paint them black when the skins come with stainless bolts that can also be painted? :thinking:
I was really hoping the black oxide would last but after the first salt application on our roads last year these started rusting right away.

RSQCON

The black oxide button heads I have are used on my front and rear bumpers only. I purchased those so I didn't have a hex head sticking out. All my body panels I used the process described in my first post.

I also used grease on all the countersunk hardware. That was recommended to me over anti seize. Only thing I wish I would have done was use rtv around all the riv nuts. I sprayed all the holes with automotive primer to seal them but using rtv with the primer would have been even better

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
The black oxide button heads I have are used on my front and rear bumpers only. I purchased those so I didn't have a hex head sticking out. All my body panels I used the process described in my first post.

I also used grease on all the countersunk hardware. That was recommended to me over anti seize. Only thing I wish I would have done was use rtv around all the riv nuts. I sprayed all the holes with automotive primer to seal them but using rtv with the primer would have been even better

I did end up using anti-seize on the armor screws but instead of applying it to the threads I dabbed it into the nutserts with a flux brush, because, well,

IMG_20160828_021208.jpg

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
I went the black bolt route. I'm pretty sure I put the exact bolts in my build thread. I like them, but it would have been just as easy (and probably a little less expensive) to just paint what came with the skins.

Edit: I bought 1/4-20 x 3/4" Black Oxide bolts. It was only $25.38 for 110 of them (MTG wanted some too). So really, the price was minimal if it's something you like and don't want to touch up what you have with paint periodically.

I think I paid close to the same for ones from ace hardware and switched like 90% out cause they all had surface rust

jmayps

Thanks guys for all the responses. The only reason I was considering changing them out is that when I did the initial install a while back I did it sloppily and the front part on the passenger side isn’t fully bolted on....in fact it’s not bolted on at all since the nutserts didn’t line up 100% (side that I started on and first time using nutserts). I’m planning on removing. Them so I can clean up the body, remark and fix the holes that don’t line up and reinstall.

Painting black would save money though and seems like the no brained answer. I’ll give that a shot and see how it holds up!

Top Bottom