New Wheels on the 16 JKUR - KMC XD231 Beadlocks

Deacon

Thought I'd throw up a review of my new wheels. My jeep has gone through a transition period the last 6 months. Installed the Dynatrac PR60 Hardcore package back in November along with Adams 1350's DS and some King 2.5 shocks. I was moving up from the GY Duratracs to a 37" tire and went with the Nitto Ridge Grapplers as they seem to get good reviews. I loved the look of the KMC XD229 Machetes so that’s what I went with for wheels. (Hindsight now a few months later, I think I might have chosen the Cooper STT Pros in a 37 x 13.5, just purely based on a little extra wider tire)
[url=https://postimages.org/] [/URL]
So right after the install, The upgrades really changed the stance of my Jeep, Wow it made it wide .
Width of Jeep outside lug to lug with the GY Duratrac 315/70-17 RR XHD wheels (4.53BS) was 77"
Width of Jeep outside lug to lug with the Nitto RG 37x12.5-17 wheels (3.5BS) was now 82.5"
Gained 5.5' extra width..... If you’re running 40's with 13.5 width The Machetes look great.
But I wasn't thrilled with the look plus the Prosteer ball joints were out there with the zerks exposed.
Anyway, the KMC XD231 was released in November with 4.75 BS, so I ordered those and they finally came in 2 weeks ago.

Just as a reference SPEC
Jeep has a 3.5" Coil lift with caster set at 6.7 drivers side and 6.5 passenger side
XD229 Machete is a 17 x 9 wheel and weighs 43# with ring and hardware per wheel (Weighed 3 wheels and this was the average) with the Nitto tire weighs 126# each
XD231 is 17 x 8.5 and weighs 36.6# with ring and hardware per wheel (Weighed 3 wheels and this was the average) with Nitto tire weighs 120.6 # each
37" Nitto Ridge Grappler when mounted on the Jeep with 30 PSI measures 35 5/8”, Not mounted on the Jeep (spare) measures 36 1/2"
The width of the Jeep with the XD231 now measures outside lug to lug is 79.25” which is still a gain of 2.25" where I was before the axle swap.

Verdict - Badass - actually drives smoother and more controlled and the Prosteers are more protected. At least for me, my jeep drives great with my set up.
I could have went with the XD228 which is also a 4.75BS but liked the look of the beadlock drain Rings. I looked at and wanted Trail Readys but the price was a little over $500 more for the same 5 wheels. So at this point I’m really happy with my choice. I ordered the machined wheels option and wasn't sure if I was going to like it on my White jeep as I've had Black wheels on my last 3 jeeps but glad I went this route ( at least at this point - that may change if the finish doesn't hold up).

Here's some pics

Deacon

Man that looks awesome. Perfect stance. What are your plans for spare?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Well that happens to be the next change to the jeep - funny how its one of those If I knew then what I Know now kind of deals -
I ordered an LOD 8 lug bracket back in December and it took a month to get here. When I installed the bracket the 4 lugs did not align with the 8 lug wheel - the bolts were off a 1/4". Contacted LOD to explain, they wanted a photo of the mount with a ruler showing the measurements and it was determined they measured wrong and would send out a new mount. 3 Weeks later I received the new mount.
Well ----- The new mount or all the mounts with this Tire Carrier set up will not work with a 3.5" BS wheel - Only solution irregardless of what bolt pattern is to cut down the bracket holding the tire and the bracket on the carrier by 1" then it will work with a 3.5 BS wheel. So I never had the Machetes mounted on this bumper/tire carrier combo.
BUT
The new wheels XD231 worked just fine with the 4.75BS as they did with my Rugged Ridge XHD wheel (4.53 BS) but only had them mounted on the jeep for about a week .
I removed the spare because I really felt the big tire back there
So .... Im now planning to get the GenRight Rear ALuminum bumper - I think it states 20# plus another 10# or so for the mounting hardware and body mounted tabs. then Ive decided on the Maximus 3 tire carrier ,it will hold up to a 40" tire and it only weighs 40# .. so combined weight between the 2 should be around 70#.
My LOD bumper weighs in at 135# .. so I should have a 65# reduction.

Like I said if I knew then what I know now and could restart my build , I would do some stuff different , like go all Aluminum (fenders , bumpers etc.)

Like Eddies Jeep , its ever evolving.

I keep a Jeep notebook with weights , measurements etc so I can go back and reference stuff....

Deacon

Damn!! That looks so sweet!! :thumb:

Thanks Eddie , appreciate your input of Approval :thumb:,
Actually your Forum Post " Revere the Steer-Rubicat going wide" really helped with my decision with these wheels comparing your Jeep with the Dynatrac Jeep and all the really good side by side pics . Always tricky ordering something so costly sight unseen. I read through that thread multiple times .

RockingK

👍👍👍

Looks fantastic. I just completed the Same swap in a 09 2dr JK and changed wheels to a 4” BS 8lug wheel and much to my surprise the zirc fittings hung down and exposed. Thinking about pulling the zirc’s and installing a plug. I guess my other option would be to change wheels with greater back space.

Your Jeep sits perfect, well done :rock:

Top Bottom