Good ole DEATH WOBBLE

Red Rage

Please give me your recommendations for these issues. I have full on death wobble.

I have a 2012 JK with all Synergy Front components except control arms (Rubicon Express) and Coils (Metal Cloak). I have death wobble, this is what I have found after doing the famous death wobble checklist 100%.

Track bar (Synergy, with relocation bracket and brace and sector shaft brace), Heim joint (axle end) has about .005-.010” movement, I can feel and hear when I grab the bar and pull on it. No visible movement and bolts do not move when turning steering wheel. (11,000 miles)

Passenger lower ball joint (all Synergy ball joints), when lifting tire with shovel has about .050” up/down play, all other ball joints good. (8000 miles)

Tie Rod (Synergy) test with channel locks for up/down movement, passenger about
.050”, drivers about .020”. No up/down movement when turning steering wheel. (8000 miles)

Drag Link (Synergy flip) test with channel locks for up/down movement, Knuckle end about .025”, Pitman end nothing. No up/down movement when turning steering wheel. (11,000 miles)

LCA drivers side (Rubicon Express, fixed), lots of side to side slop on frame mount (will order replacement bushing), drivers side good but will replace bushing also. (19,000 miles)

*Please advise what you recommend for each item above.

robx251

Caught the Bug
I’d start with the balljoints the .050” seems like the most likely culprit. Also when was the last time you had your tires balanced on a good road force balancer?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Passenger lower ball joint (all Synergy ball joints), when lifting tire with shovel has about .050” up/down play, all other ball joints good. (8000 miles)

"About .050"? I'd have to say that's where your problem is being that it's so close to the threshold of what is considered bad.

Red Rage

I’d start with the balljoints the .050” seems like the most likely culprit. Also when was the last time you had your tires balanced on a good road force balancer?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Thanks. Just had them balanced after 1st DW episode couple weeks ago. Not sure on the process. It was done at America's Tire.

Red Rage

"About .050"? I'd have to say that's where your problem is being that it's so close to the threshold of what is considered bad.
Thanks! Looks like I will be replacing BJ. RE is sending me new bushings for free and think I will replace TB Heim with new durometer end. You think the minor play in DL and TR ends are ok?

Top Bottom