Jks spare tire license plate relocation mount

Mikecal9985

I’m planning on moving my license plate to the spare tire and decided on using the jks mount. I was looking at the directions and I noticed that it said that when you splice in the wire for the license plate wire, you might want to cut off the third brake light mount because the third brake light won’t work anymore. My question is, can I wire the plate light some other way to make it come on when I turn on my lights. I want to keep the third brake light because living in Florida the more red lights you have on the back the better with all the older drivers around here. Thanks in advance guys!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Yes you can have both what I did was I tapped into the 3rd break like wire housing from the tail gate we’re the plug from the 3rd break light is and I tapped into the driver side tail light where the license plate wire housing. I’ll take some pics of what I did and go look at the wires so you can wire it up just like it would of been factory. I have it we’re my license plate light comes on with my parking lights and my 3rd brake is of course always on when I hit the brakes.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I’m planning on moving my license plate to the spare tire and decided on using the jks mount. I was looking at the directions and I noticed that it said that when you splice in the wire for the license plate wire, you might want to cut off the third brake light mount because the third brake light won’t work anymore. My question is, can I wire the plate light some other way to make it come on when I turn on my lights. I want to keep the third brake light because living in Florida the more red lights you have on the back the better with all the older drivers around here. Thanks in advance guys!!

IMG_1772.jpg
IMG_1736.jpg

This is Poison Spiders 3rd brake light with extra long wire harness.

Mikecal9985

Yes you can have both what I did was I tapped into the 3rd break like wire housing from the tail gate we’re the plug from the 3rd break light is and I tapped into the driver side tail light where the license plate wire housing. I’ll take some pics of what I did and go look at the wires so you can wire it up just like it would of been factory. I have it we’re my license plate light comes on with my parking lights and my 3rd brake is of course always on when I hit the brakes.

Awesome, thanks man! Whenever you get a chance, and if it’s not much of a pain, count you take a pic of how the wire are? If not, no worries!!

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Yes you can have both what I did was I tapped into the 3rd brake light wire housing from the tail gate we’re the plug from the 3rd break light is and I tapped into the driver side tail light where the license plate wire housing. I’ll take some pics of what I did. I have it we’re my license plate light comes on with my parking lights and my 3rd brake is of course always on when I hit the brakes.

WJCO

Meme King
If you want your plate light to always be on when your tail lights are on, you just need to tap your power wire into the tail light power wire circuit. You will need a connector near the plate though so you can remove it to take your spare off. I went with the Rock Hard 4x4 one, but it's similar. Here's my single power wire:

IMG_20180303_155025_736.jpg

As far as the plate light ground, you can ground that right to your metal plate bracket right there as long as that bracket is grounded to the vehicle somehow.

I went with bolt lights instead of a single centered light, but you can see here that the ground is hooked right to the metal on the plate bracket.

IMG_20180303_154945_939.jpg

IMG_20180303_154901_008.jpg

Mikecal9985

If you want your plate light to always be on when your tail lights are on, you just need to tap your power wire into the tail light power wire circuit. You will need a connector near the plate though so you can remove it to take your spare off. I went with the Rock Hard 4x4 one, but it's similar. Here's my single power wire:

View attachment 295043

As far as the plate light ground, you can ground that right to your metal plate bracket right there as long as that bracket is grounded to the vehicle somehow.

I went with bolt lights instead of a single centered light, but you can see here that the ground is hooked right to the metal on the plate bracket.

View attachment 295044

View attachment 295045

I thought about tapping into my passenger side tail light power wire, would you happen to know which wire that is? I searched on google and it said that the white with purple stripe is the running lights wire. Would that be the one I need to tap into for the plate light to turn on when I turn my lights on?

WJCO

Meme King
I thought about tapping into my passenger side tail light power wire, would you happen to know which wire that is? I searched on google and it said that the white with purple stripe is the running lights wire. Would that be the one I need to tap into for the plate light to turn on when I turn my lights on?

Just confirmed with a test light that it is the white wire with a purple stripe. Ours is a 2011, I assume it would be the same on yours, but double check.

IMG_20180303_162321_409.jpg

JKbrick

Thank you everyone else for y’alls help as well!!

All I did with my JKS setup was couple the existing wires for the license plate light I took off and wired up in the cab, across the jeep under the carpet back down to the tailgate hinge area and out the tailgate to the light. I never touched the third brake light and both work like they always have

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mikecal9985

IMG_0684.jpg
IMG_0685.jpg
IMG_0686.jpg
IMG_0687.jpg
IMG_0688.jpg
IMG_0689.jpg
Did the plate relocation install this morning...took me about 2 hours, by the time I figured out how to run the wires and all. Fairly easy once you know what you’re doing!!! Thanks to all for the help!!

Top Bottom