Dynamat JKU Hood...Video

ravencr

I haven't had much time to dedicate to forums lately, but we had a great 5 week trip in the Jeep. I'll post a bunch of videos and pics as soon as I can...Moab was outstanding as usual.

Since then, I haven't touched the Jeep till recently. One thing that really irritates me about this vehicle is the noise level. After doing a little research, apparently there's little to no sound deadening material anywhere in these Jeeps. I understand the utilitarian off-road capability motto of the Wrangler, but when you buy a $50K+ vehicle, I personally expect at least some attempt by the manufacturer to keep noise down. Jeep, in this case, does virtually nothing, resulting in a very annoying resonance and wind noise that is atrocious in my opinion.

Needless to say, I bought a bunch of Dynamat products to begin quieting it down. I started yesterday with covering the underside of the hood with Dynamat Xtreme and then their Hoodliner. I also removed the piece in between the hood and the windshield, because as you'll see in the video, it sounded like a tin can before applying the Dynamat.

I plan to tear apart the doors and basically the whole interior to apply Xtreme, DynaLiner, and some DynaPad throughout the entire interior. I had already installed the hot heads headliner, which did make a good difference. But, it really needs a lot more work to quiet this thing down.

I'll post more videos as I get around to it, but here's the first short one of the hood. I did have to trim the section of the Hoodliner above the intake (not shown), which I guessed I would.

I haven't had much time to dedicate to forums lately, but we had a great 5 week trip in the Jeep. I'll post a bunch of videos and pics as soon as I can...Moab was outstanding as usual.

Since then, I haven't touched the Jeep till recently. One thing that really irritates me about this vehicle is the noise level. After doing a little research, apparently there's little to no sound deadening material anywhere in these Jeeps. I understand the utilitarian off-road capability motto of the Wrangler, but when you buy a $50K+ vehicle, I personally expect at least some attempt by the manufacturer to keep noise down. Jeep, in this case, does virtually nothing, resulting in a very annoying resonance and wind noise that is atrocious in my opinion.

Needless to say, I bought a bunch of Dynamat products to begin quieting it down. I started yesterday with covering the underside of the hood with Dynamat Xtreme and then their Hoodliner. I also removed the piece in between the hood and the windshield, because as you'll see in the video, it sounded like a tin can before applying the Dynamat.

I plan to tear apart the doors and basically the whole interior to apply Xtreme, DynaLiner, and some DynaPad throughout the entire interior. I had already installed the hot heads headliner, which did make a good difference. But, it really needs a lot more work to quiet this thing down.

I'll post more videos as I get around to it, but here's the first short one of the hood. I did have to trim the section of the Hoodliner above the intake (not shown), which I guessed I would.

https://youtu.be/LgIu0Zrt2_Y

Chris

ravencr

Not sure why you said that...that doesn't fit our needs at all. We spent a week in Moab riding Kane Creek Canyon, Hell's Revenge, Fins 'n Things, Seven Mile Rim, Poison Spider Mesa, Gold Bar Rim, & Golden Spike. I don't think a minivan would be able to do that...lol.

Chris

Cold Gas

You may find you run into some heat issues with it. Maybe not but I know I needed to vent my hood and fender liners due to high temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobicon2017

Not sure why you said that...that doesn't fit our needs at all. We spent a week in Moab riding Kane Creek Canyon, Hell's Revenge, Fins 'n Things, Seven Mile Rim, Poison Spider Mesa, Gold Bar Rim, & Golden Spike. I don't think a minivan would be able to do that...lol.

Chris

The new Kia can do Moab. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Omnifox

Two things come to mind reading and watching this.

1st, that is some solid SEO you got going in your post.

2nd, all that padding has got to build up the heat in the engine compartment.

Did you do some before/after reading?

ravencr

You may find you run into some heat issues with it. Maybe not but I know I needed to vent my hood and fender liners due to high temps.

These Recons hood vents are actually functional, so hopefully I won't run into any issues with it. I'll keep an eye on it, though. Thanks for the heads up,

Chris

ravencr

Two things come to mind reading and watching this.

1st, that is some solid SEO you got going in your post.

2nd, all that padding has got to build up the heat in the engine compartment.

Did you do some before/after reading?
I'll keep an eye on the engine bay heat. I didn't take a before and after reading. If I posted something incorrectly, just let me know. I was just sharing a few f my experiences...if that's not allowed, I can spend my time on other forums that appreciate the content.

Chris

Cold Gas

Any chance you used a dB meter to check before and after? Would of been interesting.

ravencr

Well, cutting them out like that would definitely flow a lot more air, but it would also let in a lot more rain directly onto to the top of the engine, as well. I've got a tuner on our Jeep, and after putting the insulation on the hood, I'm seeing the same intake air temps in relation to ambient air temps as I did before. Depending on speed, it typically ranges from 10-40 degrees hotter than the ambient air temps, so I see no need to cut up the stock hood vents. I haven't rock crawled it yet, so it may present a problem then, but under normal driving conditions there's no need to make adjustments.

Chris

jorgelrod

Hooked
Well, cutting them out like that would definitely flow a lot more air, but it would also let in a lot more rain directly onto to the top of the engine, as well. I've got a tuner on our Jeep, and after putting the insulation on the hood, I'm seeing the same intake air temps in relation to ambient air temps as I did before. Depending on speed, it typically ranges from 10-40 degrees hotter than the ambient air temps, so I see no need to cut up the stock hood vents. I haven't rock crawled it yet, so it may present a problem then, but under normal driving conditions there's no need to make adjustments.

Chris

If you look closely, these louvers are actually over the sides of the engine, not directly on top of it.

pop2tu

These video remind me of an old trick they did to privates in the Army. Having them look for weak spots in the armor! The private would tape on every inch of the hull, with a hammer, and circle anything that sounded different. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom