Mysterious coolant leak

jsukey

So I noticed this half dry puddle of coolant while changing out my alternator. I'm not missing any coolant, so the leak isn't constant. I didn't have a chance to crawl under the Jeep to check, but I would assume that the weep hole is on the 6 o'clock position of the water pump itself. The timing cover and water pump were changed by the dealer 25k miles ago. The radiator was changed about 2k miles ago. Any thoughts about where I should be looking? Now that I'm looking at the pic...I suppose it may have come from the upper factory clamp, directly above the puddle. I was on the side of the road when I was changing out the alternator, so I was just trying to focus on the main issue. I'm working out of town now, so I won't be able to look at the Jeep for another couple of weeks when I get home.

FullSizeRender (5).jpg

BaddestCross

So I noticed this half dry puddle of coolant while changing out my alternator. I'm not missing any coolant, so the leak isn't constant. I didn't have a chance to crawl under the Jeep to check, but I would assume that the weep hole is on the 6 o'clock position of the water pump itself. The timing cover and water pump were changed by the dealer 25k miles ago. The radiator was changed about 2k miles ago. Any thoughts about where I should be looking? Now that I'm looking at the pic...I suppose it may have come from the upper factory clamp, directly above the puddle. I was on the side of the road when I was changing out the alternator, so I was just trying to focus on the main issue. I'm working out of town now, so I won't be able to look at the Jeep for another couple of weeks when I get home.

View attachment 295308
I just replaced my thermostat that was leaking right above that area... I'd check the hoses, clamps, and the thermostat if it was me.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

jsukey

I just replaced my thermostat that was leaking right above that area... I'd check the hoses, clamps, and the thermostat if it was me.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

I will give it a thorough look over whenever I get home. Hoping that's all it is. Not sure if the thermostat has ever been changed. I'll go ahead and put some worm gear hose clamps on there though. I can't stand the factory clamps. I blew off the upper radiator hose twice on my Jeep SRT8 before changing them over to worm gear clamps.

BaddestCross

I will give it a thorough look over whenever I get home. Hoping that's all it is. Not sure if the thermostat has ever been changed. I'll go ahead and put some worm gear hose clamps on there though. I can't stand the factory clamps. I blew off the upper radiator hose twice on my Jeep SRT8 before changing them over to worm gear clamps.
Lol. I feel your pain with the clamps.

PRO TIP: The thermostat has a rubber gasket on the outer edge of it. If you buy a thermostat just for the hell of it, don't fall for the counter guy selling you another one for the housing. Ask me how I know. 😎

--

Top Bottom