Slight steering wheel shimmy after lift

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
I’ve been looking everywhere on here so if this problem has already been addressed, please let me know where to find it.

2016 JKU and I just installed an evo enforcer 3” w drag link flip a few days and ~250 miles ago. Jeep has 13000 miles total on it. I’ve been getting a slight shimmy in the steering wheel but mostly above 45mph. Vibrations are only in the steering wheel and nowhere else. All paint marks are in the same spot from the torques when I installed the lift. There was maybe 2 times I drove it and the shimmy was gone even though I haven’t done anything different. Any ideas what it would be? My caster is a little off but I wouldn’t think that would cause a steering shimmy anyway (?).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Ensure track bar ends are torqued to 125 ft lbs. Also, if you didn't weld on the track bar bracket, make sure those bracket bolts are really tight. Also double check that the drag link adjusting collar bolts are tight.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Maybe a wheel out of balance. See if you knocked off any balancing weights when you removed and reinstalled the wheels.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
All wheel weights are still there. I’ll try to rotate the tires and see if the shop just messed up balancing one of the fronts. Also, does this drag link look right? After I took it in for the alignment, there seems to be a lot of threads showing on the drag link side.

Image1520362689.474737.jpg

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Ensure track bar ends are torqued to 125 ft lbs. Also, if you didn't weld on the track bar bracket, make sure those bracket bolts are really tight. Also double check that the drag link adjusting collar bolts are tight.

Brackets getting welded on Thursday. I’ll retorque the track bar for sure.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Looks good to me. I'm running 7 degrees castor on stock housing with no vibes. I think the key is the low 3" lift keep the drive shaft angle more in check. Try swapping front for back wheels. I had a shimmy after rotating tires and the shop said one my ATX wheels was bent. It's now the permanent spare.

J

JKDream

Looks good to me. I'm running 7 degrees castor on stock housing with no vibes. I think the key is the low 3" lift keep the drive shaft angle more in check..

I have a hard time believing that. That would put your pinion pointing downward.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I have a hard time believing that. That would put your pinion pointing downward.

I just went out an checked again. It's closer to 5. On the flat in front of the axle, I'm at 90 degrees. 6 deg housing. The garage is sloped a little over half degree.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Thanks for all the advice everyone. So far, I re-torqued the track bar. It didn’t spin at all. I also swapped the front and rear tires. On the drive to town there was no shimmy at all but I can definitely here an oscillating droning sound from the rear. I think a wheel may be off balance as mentioned multiple times here. I’ll give it a couple more days to make sure that fixed it before I take it in to get rebalanced.

As for the caster, I definitely need to get uppers because the lowers are nearly bottomed out. They may even hit the axle mount if I flex it out. Haven’t tried to flex since the trackbar brackets haven’t been welded yet.

Thanks again for all the input. Learning is occurring!

Top Bottom