Shock install

Mikecal9985

So I just bought some Rancho5000xl and was wondering how hard it is to install a set of shocks? I’ve watched a bunch of YouTube videos and it seems pretty straight forward. I also searched the google box and found the torque settings for all the bolts. I don’t know why but since it has to do with the suspension, it scares me a little to do it myself. I have all the tools needed to do it. What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
That’s probably the easiest part of the suspension to change. I’ve never done it before last week but it was incredibly easy. Remember the shock can compress to give you room to maneuver it around where it needs to be. For me, I just soft mounted the top and moved it around until I got the lower bolts lined up, then torqued it all down.

Zevulin

Like the previous post reads, it’s pretty much straightforward, you shouldn’t have any problems, go for it and you’ll be glad ya did![emoji631]

jeeeep

Hooked
No need to jack up the Jeep right? Just go one by one

I find it easier to raise the Jeep at the frame, place some jack stands under the frame and use the jack to raise and lower the axle as needed.

You'll find the shock shaft extends pretty quick once you remove the binding strap.

It's easier to install when you can move the axle end up and down (don't over-stretch your brake lines etc.) versus having the Jeep on the ground.

I've got a 3.5" lift and have done it with the Jeep on the ground by getting the shock in place before cutting the strap.

But, miss the shock lower mount while the shock is decompressing and it'll take a little grunt to get it into place.

It's a lot easier than I make it sound.

Do it yourself, you'll be glad you did.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
I think the most difficult part is the top nut on the right front shock. It’s not too bad getting it out, but unless you want to fiddle with it for a while when installing, a little trimming of the plastic just above the nut helps A LOT. The clearance is different and tighter than the driver side. Overall though, replacing the shocks is fairly straight forward.

Slimebones

I find it easier to raise the Jeep at the frame, place some jack stands under the frame and use the jack to raise and lower the axle as needed.

You'll find the shock shaft extends pretty quick once you remove the binding strap.

It's easier to install when you can move the axle end up and down (don't over-stretch your brake lines etc.) versus having the Jeep on the ground.

I've got a 3.5" lift and have done it with the Jeep on the ground by getting the shock in place before cutting the strap.

But, miss the shock lower mount while the shock is decompressing and it'll take a little grunt to get it into place.

It's a lot easier than I make it sound.

Do it yourself, you'll be glad you did.

^^^ This pretty much explains it.

RonG

Trimming the plastic above the right front shock makes tightening down the new one a lot easier. If you’ve never done it before, cutting away parts of your Jeep can be a little unnerving, but you get used to it.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mikecal9985

So I just couldn’t wait till the weekend so I figured I would install them today!! Man what a difference!! The rears went on super easily and took about 30-45 min!! Now the front ones were a different story. The driver side had the top bolt rusted on there and ended up breaking off after about 45min of wrenching on it. The passenger side was a bitch just because of the piece of plastic you guys told me about...ended up cutting/breaking some of it off. Other than the two top bolts, everything else went smoothly!!! So glad I did it myself! Now, while I was driving, after about 10 min, my check engine light went on. I pulled over and checked all the brake lines and everything I touched during the install and everything was good to go. Is there some sort of sensor or something, or was it just pure coincidence that the check engine light came on?

Mikecal9985

IMG_0729.jpg
Rear driver side

IMG_0730.jpg
Front driver side

IMG_0728.jpg
Old ones...they didn’t even bounce back once I compressed them after I took them off. I guess I needed new shock more than I thought I did

black pearl

Hooked
The check engine light might be a coincidence. I believe if you messed up a ABS line your traction control would wig out instead. I think.

Edit: or speed sensor line.

Top Bottom