TECH TIP : Jeep JK Wrangler Shift Knob Removal

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you're in need of removing your Jeep JK Wrangler's shift knob, you'll be glad to know that no tools will be needed for the job. Whether you have an automatic or manual or are in need of removing the transfer case shift knob, they are all attached the same way and all that is required is for you to hold it firmly, pull upward and give it a little twist until it till pops off. The knobs are just pressed on and snap into an indexed grove on the shift lever so removing it will take a good amount of effort to free it but, that's all that needs to be done.

main.php

If there's one thing you'll need to be careful of is hitting yourself when it comes free :D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So you just yank on your shaft? :cheesy:

I always wondered if it was screwed on or pushed on, now I know.

er.... ummmm, yeah.... something like that. You just yank on it till it pops and you just need to be careful not to hit yourself in the process... did I just say that out loud :crazyeyes:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
er.... ummmm, yeah.... something like that. You just yank on it till it pops and you just need to be careful not to hit yourself in the process... did I just say that out loud :crazyeyes:

:cheesy:

Good info. I've been wondering how to change the knob. Thought there might be a screw hidden under the cap. I wouldn't have thought you could just yank it off... :cheesy:

Steel Rain

I changed mt transfer case knob to an EVO SBS. You aint kidding when you say be careful not to hit yourself. I about knocked my ass clear back into the previous week:D

Bigfoot

I want to replace the shift boot of the manual transmission in my JK next weekend so I really appreciate this tech tip! Since it seems like I will have to apply a hefty uplift on the shift lever I am wondering if this can have any negative impact on the transmission. Did you ever notice any difference in the transmission or unusual noise coming from it after a shift knob removal? Is it important to hold the shift lever down while pulling the knob upward? :thinking:

Top Bottom