Hmm...JK or JL Rubicon

ibis9999

I’m just curious to know if anyone had a preference/opinion on which they prefer. I’m really liking to 2018 Rubicon Recon. But the upgraded technology in the JL is both nice and worrisome at the same time. The “simplicity “ of the JK seems more appealing.

Could really use some of you comments on this.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MOTOWN

The JL is nice but I wouldn't buy the first year of any new platform I prefer to wait while the bugs are worked out and refined , and the JK is still looking great in my opinion.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I bought a JKUR in 2017. I’ve considered making Love to it when no one is looking. But if I went today, to buy a Jeep, it would be a JL.... for the simple fact that you can run 37’s with a 2.5” lift, 8 speed tranny, better gear ratio, stronger axles and it has great body lines, ie hood, bumpers, fenders, grill.... and a lot of other awesome improvements in all the right places. I wouldn’t stress about the “technology”... it’s not like the JK is a CJ and the JL is a NASA Moon Rover.

Last edited:

zimm

Caught the Bug
JL. It'll take the aftermarket some time to catch up, but JK product development will go stagnant.

As mentioned, the longer you wait, the better of a chance they'll catch manufacturing screw ups. The first run of a new generation usually has some teething issues.

jorgelrod

Hooked
I bought a JKUR in 2017. I’ve considered making Love to it when no one is looking. But if I went today, to buy a Jeep, it would be a JL.... for the simple fact that you can run 37’s with a 2.5” lift, 8 speed tranny, better gear ratio, stronger axles and it has great body lines, ie hood, bumpers, fenders, grill.... and a lot of other awesome improvements in all the right places. I wouldn’t stress about the “technology”... it’s not like the JK is a CJ and the JL is a NASA Moon Rover.

I agree, tranny may see some shakedown issues in the beginning, but the 3.6L pentastar is pretty solid.

desertrunner

The JL is nice but I wouldn't buy the first year of any new platform I prefer to wait while the bugs are worked out and refined , and the JK is still looking great in my opinion.
I agree with this to an extent. If we were seeing brand new technology that wasn't already in other jeep vehicles or a completely new engine or transmission maybe.... But all of the interior electronics are already being used in the grand Cherokee, the engine have been around, not actually sure about the trans if that's the one thats in the grand Cherokee or not. About the only thing that is "new" in the JL is the axles

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rusty JK

I traded my 2014 JKU for the 2018 JLUR and I’m not looking back, the difference in suspension quality is big plus all those extra toys is been in other Jeep products all ready.

Cold Gas

JL all the way. Not sure why you would buy the old model at this point in time since you are going brand new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RockingK

I am one to wait until things settle and get resolved. New unproven technology and systems and price are at the top. That being said, with many layers of the onion being peeled back by Eddie and Cindy on the new JL, I would have no reservation in purchasing a JL over a Jk. I have owned several new and used cars. I have had +/- in every one of them. I have an 09 2dr JK didn’t like the 3.8, now have a Hemi, daughter wanted a JKUR in 2011, watited to get the new 3.6 and all the changes that new model year brought and did so with no regrets. I am buying a new JL when the diesel is available for one huge reason, our company has several eco diesel ram trucks, some with well over 100K, towing and loaded most of the time and they have proven to be a great engine IMHO.

Best of luck to you in your decision, hope this thread helps you and others.:thumb:

JamesWyatt

I recently had bought an 18 JKUR with half doors for fun until the diesel JL came out and had a chance to have the bugs worked out of it. But last week, I had some time to kill and test drove a Sahara (only JL on the lot at the time). I have mixed feelings about the JL:

The good:

Power/acceleration, trans, is all worlds better, even on the Sahara. Ride was nice with the Sahara street tires. Seating position was high (Land Rover Discovery II kind of high) and visibility was great. Love the exterior styling.

The bad I wasn’t expecting:

While the overall road noise inside the cabin was muted compared to the JK, there was a lot of wind noise concentrated along the top of the windshield frame. I drove a JK hardtop Recon back-to-back against it to verify — the JK was much quieter at 75/80 along a windy interstate. The top of the JL windshield being closer to one’s head may make it seem worse, but to me the wind noise seemed higher pitched or sharper if you will — and more annoying. The fact that the rest of the JL cabin is so quiet may make the windshield wind noise seem to stand out more.

Second thing, which was the deal killer for me, is the leather heated seats are hard as fuck. Seriously, what the hell, Jeep? I know I’ve got a skinny butt, but it felt like I was sitting on a flat rock with a blanket thrown over over it. It made my lower back hurt (I got issues there) and feel fatigued by the end of the test drive. If you don’t have back issues or have plenty of ass padding, you’d probably be fine, but there’s no way I’d want to have seats that hard as my daily driver. If I ever do get a JL, this means I’ll be stuck getting cloth seats without the heated seats option.

The reduction of the shoulder room by the doors being closer in was a real let down. My shoulders were nearly touching the b-pillar. If you’ve ever driven an older Land Rover Discovery, that’s exactly how much room you feel like you have inside now against the windows.

And here’s where I may disagree with the common wisdom on the interior, but compared with the Recon I drove, the interior looked and felt like a cheap version of a G-Wagon. The hard top interior looks like styrofoam — I actually had to feel it to make sure it wasn’t, and I half expected to be able to pinch off a chunk of it. The dash reminded me of an old Mitsubishi Montero, but done up with cheap silver plastics. The stitched leather dash insert on the Sahara looks cheaply made. I did like some of the design accents like the grab handles and hard top latches, but overall my impression was that they simply tried too hard to make it cool. I absolutely hated the big stupid auto shifter with the giant Willys icon on it and the Battlestar Galactica-inspired red “trigger” on the front of it — so much “try hard” everywhere inside.

After the test drive, I realized I might be in a JK longer than I realized, and I ended up walking out with the granite Recon I test drove. The dealer swapped over my KO2s, and I was on my way.

IMG_1581.JPG

Cold Gas

I saw a new JLU Rubicon with the factory / Mopar lift and 37’s today in Moab. He was in my group today on Flat Iron Mesa and of course we were all checking it out. The owner was really happy with his choice and it looked really nice and shiny of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eloucha

I will lease it , till diesel come out. Wait is the key. Test it for year drive it enjoy the fun of new interior gadget , I will trade my 15 jku when diesel be second year edition

Top Bottom