Skid Plates good or bad

Tackerdown

Banned
_1261651202.jpg
Is this style skid plate going to cause any problems down the rode. My reason for asking is that the front bolts to the engine mount bolts rather than with the oil pan bolts. To me I would think there is a possibility that it could damage the mount bolts or loosen them. I'm looking for pros and cons.

rtguy1

_1261651202.jpg
Is this style skid plate going to cause any problems down the rode. My reason for asking is that the front bolts to the engine mount bolts rather than with the oil pan bolts. To me I would think there is a possibility that it could damage the mount bolts or loosen them. I'm looking for pros and cons.

i have a similar one from purejeep that works great. it mounts at the motor mounts but doesnt use that same hardware. it has its own hardware so there should be no issues. it covers oil pant back to crossmember.

Tackerdown

Banned
This one you loosen the bolt and hook the drop brackets to them. Kinda makes me nervous doing that.

Sent from my PC36100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

i like my evo setup for a few reasons
evo-protec.lg_1.jpg

its a 3 piece setup. the oil pan trans and crossmember all have separate skids. i beat my cross member pretty hard. i dont want all that shock going to my motor mounts.
i like how the transmission and oil pan are higher. i havent hit them and hopefully wont but if i do its protected. honestly id probably screw up pretty good to hit the oil pan.:twocents:

Tackerdown

Banned
I've been lucky so far to but I'm sure its bound to happen. I was really looking for a cheaper way than the EVO but don't want to cause issues down the road just to save a buck.

Tackerdown

Banned
Yeah I like the EVO but $ . I'll have to check that out when I get home.

Tackerdown

Banned
i like my evo setup for a few reasons
evo-protec.lg_1.jpg

its a 3 piece setup. the oil pan trans and crossmember all have separate skids. i beat my cross member pretty hard. i dont want all that shock going to my motor mounts.
i like how the transmission and oil pan are higher. i havent hit them and hopefully wont but if i do its protected. honestly id probably screw up pretty good to hit the oil pan.:twocents:

Ok after a little more thinking maybe I'll get the EVO, just in stages The price really isn't that different just to cover the oil pan and transmission pan. Would you get the oil or the trans. first?

I got my oil first since there is not one on there stock or at least I didn't. Everything else at least has "some" protection. Then you can add from there.

andrew -

Tackerdown

Banned
Well I was worried about getting the oil and trans. covered and the first damage I got was a snagged rear diff. cover. but a ball peen hammer kinda fixed it for now. So i guess i need to find the cheapest strong diff. cover first.

wyo-jk

I run rock hard 4x4 full skid plate system and have come straight down on pointed boulders and just got a scuff on the plate lol

Tackerdown

Banned
I run rock hard 4x4 full skid plate system and have come straight down on pointed boulders and just got a scuff on the plate lol

If your going to have skid marks that's where you want them. (cheesy guy.) emoticon . Most of my scrapes are on the gas skid. I'm not sure if its because its harder to judge that side or just because its lower but that factory plate is tough.

Prime8

Ok after a little more thinking maybe I'll get the EVO, just in stages The price really isn't that different just to cover the oil pan and transmission pan. Would you get the oil or the trans. first?

What year do you have? If you have a 2012+, it's not worth buying in stages. Each skid is like $160 or $180 and the whole setup of all three is $400. Not worth getting them one piece at a time, it will be a lot more expensive.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As a few have mentioned, it really is a good idea to protect those things that come from the factory without any protection namely, the oil pan. If you have a 2012-up with an automatic, the transmission and cooler line as well. Aside from that, the factory skids are more than adequate for protecting the underside of your Jeep. To this day, I have yet to see or hear of a single one failing. Sure, they will get beat up but, that doesn't mean they need to be replaced with an aftermarket skid that will retain heat and make maintenance harder to do.

For whatever it's worth, I still run factory skids on my big white JK of which I have had and taken to the mall and back for over 6 years now. :yup:

Top Bottom