Odd sound coming from Jk

wvjeepin

So I have a 2008 unlimited, I started to notice this odd metal scraping sound when I accelerate, an then it goes away....anyone ever experience this? I don't know what it is or what is causing it. I really don't want to take it in to the dealer.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Im sorry I had to put that in there. I had a weird sound as well that took me a while too find. I had some loose exhaust heat shields and my cadalitic converter was bad..

Paratroopers stay up longer!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Would you say that it's kind of a ratcheting sound and only happens on acceleration? If so, I would check your drive shaft CV boots to see if they've been spitting out grease. If so, the bearings inside are toast and you are in need of a new drive shaft ASAP.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
My friend put his foot on the tail pipe and just pushed on it (lightly now!!) jiggling it. Thats how we found the converter issue. His son was airing up his tire on his bike and popped it. I pooped a lil, banged my head on the exhaust and thats how I found the other rattles..lol

Paratroopers stay up longer!

wvjeepin

It sounds like the noise is near the front of the jeep but kinda below the driver seat and towards the middle of the rig

jkjurny

It sounds like the noise is near the front of the jeep but kinda below the driver seat and towards the middle of the rig

That's about where the front shaft will connect to your transfer case. That's also where the boot is that can spew grease.

I had that and it was my heat shield next to my cross member i just bent it a little and it fixed it some times i hear it when i have to almost floor it but haven't heard it in a while.

Top Bottom