Sway Bar Link Question:

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I’m getting close to finishing the installation of my homemade budget boost kit. The front spacers are 2 1/2” and the rears are 1” tall. Net lift ended up to be the height of the spacers plus a 1/4” in both the front and rear. I have a winch mounted inside my stock front bumper that added 80lbs to the front and the Jeep is sitting pretty level. I’m real happy with the stance and ride.

My question is about the sway bar angles. Rough measurements show that the front sway bar is pulled down about 2” from level and the rear is down 1 1/4”.

Question #1 - Should I increase the length of the links to make the sway bars level?

I tested the strength of the link and found that they are made from mild steel. I’m thinking that I could simply remove them, cut them in half, thread each cut end and screw them into an extension nut to make them the length I need and lock it with a jam nut.

Question #2 - Has anyone ever attempted this?

This is what the extension nut would look like:

IMG_6649.JPG

Last edited:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I’m getting close to finishing the installation of my homemade budget boost kit. The front spacers are 2 1/2” and the rears are 1” tall. Net lift ended up to be the height of the spacers plus a 1/4” in both the front and rear. I have a winch mounted inside my stock front bumper that added 80lbs to the front and the Jeep is sitting pretty level. I’m real happy with the stance and ride.

My question is about the sway bar angles. Rough measurements show that the front sway bar is pulled down about 2” from level and the rear is down 1 1/4”.

Question #1 - Should I increase the length of the links to make the sway bars level?

I tested the strength of the link and found that they are made from mild steel. I’m thinking that I could simply remove them, cut them in half, thread each cut end and screw them into an extension nut to make them the length I need and lock it with a jam nut.

View attachment 296569

Pics would help, but for sure you want longer front links. You may be able to move your stock front links to the rear. I think some leveling kits call for that.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
If you have Rubicon edisco you want to your front links to be longer and you sway bar slanted upwards form parallel with the ground. If you have disconnect links or so I wouldn’t worry about it to much since you’ll be disconnecting them anyways.
For the rear, at lest for me, I found that my links were making contact with brake calipers at full droop, so I extended those as well.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug

View attachment 296569

I lengthened my fronts with a threaded nut like that. Mine are Synergy links, which are already threaded and adjustable. I need them to be longer so added the threaded nuts. Works fine.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Pics would help, but for sure you want longer front links. You may be able to move your stock front links to the rear. I think some leveling kits call for that

Here are a couple of pics:

IMG_6653.jpg

IMG_6654.jpg

I don’t have enough lift to move the rears to the front. They would be way too long.

If you have disconnect links or so I wouldn’t worry about it to much since you’ll be disconnecting them anyways.

Not a Rubicon - Excellent Point!

I think the stock rears go to the front, or people just replace them

I don’t have enough lift to move the rears to the front. They would be way too long.

Don’t overthink this. Looks like you don’t have a Rubicon so run what you have and don’t worry about it.

I think you’re right! Thank you!

I lengthened my fronts with a threaded nut like that. Mine are Synergy links, which are already threaded and adjustable. I need them to be longer so added the threaded nuts. Works fine.

Good to hear that you made it work! Thank you for the response! I’m still considering if I need to do anything. It street drives real nice the way it is.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
They look too short to me.

I agree. I looked at your response again and missed that you had after market links that were already threaded. Well, I’m probably going to do something, because I can never leave well enough alone [emoji6]. Thanks again!

Top Bottom