Look over your JL before buying

Exodus 4x4

A customer dropped off his JLUR yesterday so we could install an EVO 2.5” Overland boost kit. While removing some of the factory parts we noticed some of the welds on the frame seam looked, a little porous.
IMG_8051.jpg
So that prompted us to start looking around the rest of the frame and sure enough we found several places where the beads were riddled with porosity.
IMG_8052.jpg
IMG_8064.jpg
In some places the welds didn’t even contact the frame and ZERO fusion occurred. I know it’s hard to make out in the picture but this is the spring perch on the passenger side.
IMG_8062.jpg
I’m well aware that these are welded together by robots and no they aren’t perfect. I’m also well aware that this is something that has happened on previous models. However, this is 2018 and we should expect better quality control out of auto manufactures, especially when paying this much for a vehicle.

The customer is pretty upset and wants them to trade him out for another, but we know that’s not going to happen. I told him he needs to at least take it to the dealer and have it documented in case there is ever an issue. I took a ride down to the dealer to look over some of the others and see if this is a common issue with the JL and it doesn’t look to be.

Just be aware of what you’re buying and thoroughly look over them. Just like all first year productions there are going to be issues like this. No sense in buying a problem when the one next to it might not have the same issues.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
It’s not something I’ve never seen before, but no sense in accepting it as “ok”. It’s not ok to pay $40k+ for a brand new Rubicon and have shit like that holding it together, if it even is. Crack heads can flux core shit together better than that.

Oh, I know. I check them over, really good, now. Must have been Friday, and the robots were tired.

Bear_JT

Hooked
It’s not something I’ve never seen before, but no sense in accepting it as “ok”. It’s not ok to pay $40k+ for a brand new Rubicon and have shit like that holding it together, if it even is. Crack heads can flux core shit together better than that.

It’s a good thing you noticed that! A dealer would be quick to dismiss that if it went to far down the road and a problem came up without it at least being documented.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug

You would think they'd replace it or pay to have it fixed. With weakened welds that would fail and maybe cause more damage if in an accident..

wjtstudios

Hooked
Yeah, if it’s documented that they were sub par and no action was taken. I would think that there would be a significant lawsuit of injuries occurred in a bad accident against the dealership and Jeep. I doubt they would open themselves up to that exposure. But you never know.

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
A customer dropped off his JLUR yesterday so we could install an EVO 2.5” Overland boost kit. While removing some of the factory parts we noticed some of the welds on the frame seam looked, a little porous.
View attachment 296616
So that prompted us to start looking around the rest of the frame and sure enough we found several places where the beads were riddled with porosity.
View attachment 296617
View attachment 296618
In some places the welds didn’t even contact the frame and ZERO fusion occurred. I know it’s hard to make out in the picture but this is the spring perch on the passenger side.
View attachment 296619
I’m well aware that these are welded together by robots and no they aren’t perfect. I’m also well aware that this is something that has happened on previous models. However, this is 2018 and we should expect better quality control out of auto manufactures, especially when paying this much for a vehicle.

The customer is pretty upset and wants them to trade him out for another, but we know that’s not going to happen. I told him he needs to at least take it to the dealer and have it documented in case there is ever an issue. I took a ride down to the dealer to look over some of the others and see if this is a common issue with the JL and it doesn’t look to be.

Just be aware of what you’re buying and thoroughly look over them. Just like all first year productions there are going to be issues like this. No sense in buying a problem when the one next to it might not have the same issues.

I work in the automotive industry and that is a scrap body by our standards. I’m sure every company is different , but I would have it checked and documented.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Couple of hours of practice with a $90 harbor freight welder gets you a job on the jeep assembly line, apparently.

Bustedback

The welds on my ZJ control arm brackets looked like a bird shit all over them. It was still a bitch to remove the brackets when I installed my long arm kit.

Typed by my very own fat fingers on my iPad or iPhone.

Exodus 4x4

The welds on my ZJ control arm brackets looked like a bird shit all over them. It was still a bitch to remove the brackets when I installed my long arm kit.

Typed by my very own fat fingers on my iPad or iPhone.

Maybe I’m too critical. I imagine if I welded brackets on someone’s Jeep with shit like this, not only would I be embarrassed but I’d expect the customer to be pissed.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Maybe I’m too critical. I imagine if I welded brackets on someone’s Jeep with shit like this, not only would I be embarrassed but I’d expect the customer to be pissed.

Right there with you. I do my own work, but if I paid someone to weld anything and it had ANY visible porosity I would refuse the work. Same goes for any purchased parts. If my Evo sliders looked like that I wouldn't be running Evo.
I say it is bullshit and Jeep needs to be made aware of the problem, and given a chance to correct it.

JAGS

Hooked
Thanks for posting. I’ve barely looked over the inside. But certainly cause to at least spend some time underneath looking around.

RockingK

Thanks

I am ordering one down the road and would not have thought to look at that but would have been pissed at myself for discovering it after the fact. Thanks for sharing :thumb:

Exodus 4x4

I am ordering one down the road and would not have thought to look at that but would have been pissed at myself for discovering it after the fact. Thanks for sharing :thumb:

Yeah nobody really thinks to look at stuff like this and to be honest, there’s probably very few out there that are like this.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Yeah nobody really thinks to look at stuff like this and to be honest, there’s probably very few out there that are like this.

You really shouldn’t have to. Quality control at Jeep should have never let it leave the factory. That’s what I told them about my JK with the one really bad weld, when they were acting like they didn’t want to fix it.

Top Bottom