Trail and knowledge questions

Richbeast

Hey guys, so I live in Colorado Springs and I want to see if any of you guys know of any trails around here. Just trying to take my wife and daughter out and check out the scenery. So mild trails to enjoy our time out.
And my second question would be, If I install a 3in lift kit, would I need to replace my drive shaft as well? I just installed my 35in tires as well and I have the Stock Dana 30. What’s the best way to go about not damaging the axle? Re gear or find a different axle? Or is there a cheaper way to re enforced my axles? Thanks guys in advanced I am just trying to see what’s the best way to do this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BobNH

I am nowhere near you, but recently a member was giving away a book called "guide to colorado backroads and four wheel drive trails". They sell them on Amazon. That might be at least a start for you, but I am sure there are a ton of members here that can help you out as well. I wish they had a guide like that for anywhere here in the northeast, but we don't have nearly the open land for public use.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

WJCO

Meme King
I'm North of Denver and don't know your area too well, but there are tons of trails around here. In the next few months, keep an eye on the forum, as there are a lot of runs as the snow melts away.

As far as the lift, if you can, keep the lift under 2.5inches and you will have a lot less to worry about.

As far as the axle, weld some gussets on the ends to protect the Cs and that should be all you need. Lots of members here from 35s on a stock 30.

Richbeast

I'm North of Denver and don't know your area too well, but there are tons of trails around here. In the next few months, keep an eye on the forum, as there are a lot of runs as the snow melts away.

As far as the lift, if you can, keep the lift under 2.5inches and you will have a lot less to worry about.

As far as the axle, weld some gussets on the ends to protect the Cs and that should be all you need. Lots of members here from 35s on a stock 30.

Okay sounds good.
So as for the lift. Right now I have the two inch sport rancho leveling kit. It has been great but I want a little more. So if I do 2.5 all I know of as of now is the rubicon express 2.5 or the Jo’s 2.5. Do you what is out there that is good?

14JK-U

If you have the 2 inch already I can't think of a reason to spend a couple more hundred on half an inch unless you're having flex issues. Your ground clearance will stay the same because it's not raising your axles. If the flex is an issue there's a free way around that, chop your fenders and inner liners. If all you're looking for is a higher stance for a bigger look try adding some spring spacers. Drive line angles still need to be watched when increasing the lift height

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327AZ using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Okay sounds good.
So as for the lift. Right now I have the two inch sport rancho leveling kit. It has been great but I want a little more. So if I do 2.5 all I know of as of now is the rubicon express 2.5 or the Jo’s 2.5. Do you what is out there that is good?

If you have the 2 inch already I can't think of a reason to spend a couple more hundred on half an inch unless you're having flex issues. Your ground clearance will stay the same because it's not raising your axles. If the flex is an issue there's a free way around that, chop your fenders and inner liners. If all you're looking for is a higher stance for a bigger look try adding some spring spacers. Drive line angles still need to be watched when increasing the lift height

Agreed. Keep what you have and trim if needed. Low center of gravity has benefits as well. Lifting the Jeep is only necessary to obtain larger tires. If you're already happy with your tires, modify the Jeep to make that work without lifting it higher.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Okay sounds good.

You could just add 1/2” spacers to the lift you already have. What’s the point of wanting a little more? Are you having issues with rubbing?

desertrunner

I went to college out there in the springs and the trail my buddies and I would run all the time is eagle rock up there in the mtns behind the broadmore. Fun trail close by and on 35s you'll be just fine. Both other guys I wheeled with were running 33s

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Richbeast

Okay thank you, this has definitely help my mind a little more.
So what about gears or axle upgrade. Do you think it’s needed or not?

WJCO

Meme King

Around here, a regear will definitely be beneficial but not needed. If you haven't already, drive up and down a few canyons to see f you're happy with the Jeep

Richbeast

Around here, a regear will definitely be beneficial but not needed. If you haven't already, drive up and down a few canyons to see f you're happy with the Jeep

Yea I haven’t done that yet, so if I do upgrade what do you recommend. I know gears or axle upgrade is expensive. But just want to see what suggestions are out there so I can start planning on that.

14JK-U

This has been asked many times, hell I asked it as well. If you're running 35s and still using stock gears a re gear will be a huge improvement. If you have the money for new axles that's the way to do it for peace of mind. With that said I'm running 35s on the D30 with 4.56 gears, truetracs, and I sleeved it as well since new axles are way in the future for me. I'm happy with what I have and where I wheel. It wouldn't work for some people but it does for me, I'll be moving up to chromoly shafts soon as well for more strength. So short answer: really take a hard look at what you plan to do now, what you plan to do in the future and build for that.

Richbeast

This has been asked many times, hell I asked it as well. If you're running 35s and still using stock gears a re gear will be a huge improvement. If you have the money for new axles that's the way to do it for peace of mind. With that said I'm running 35s on the D30 with 4.56 gears, truetracs, and I sleeved it as well since new axles are way in the future for me. I'm happy with what I have and where I wheel. It wouldn't work for some people but it does for me, I'll be moving up to chromoly shafts soon as well for more strength. So short answer: really take a hard look at what you plan to do now, what you plan to do in the future and build for that.

Hey I appreciate the help, it makes more since now.

Top Bottom