Oil filter assembly.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
So just when to do an oil change in prep for moab, and the common broken plastic and spring mechanism shoot out. So I looked around their is a little bit of oil underneath the assembly. Can I run with out the spring and plastic piece?

Talked to the dealership and it’s covered under warranty. But they’re three weeks out. So if I can wait three weeks and have them replace it for free.

Or option two is buy the $240 assembly and change it myself.

Anyone have experience with this? Have you ran without the spring?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

So just when to do an oil change in prep for moab, and the common broken plastic and spring mechanism shoot out. So I looked around their is a little bit of oil underneath the assembly. Can I run with out the spring and plastic piece?

Talked to the dealership and it’s covered under warranty. But they’re three weeks out. So if I can wait three weeks and have them replace it for free.

Or option two is buy the $240 assembly and change it myself.

Anyone have experience with this? Have you ran without the spring?

I don't believe you can as that spring apply's pressure and opens the valve so the oil can filter through, i'm trying find the youtube video on this, as it shows everything you have to do to replace this unit.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
I don't believe you can as that spring apply's pressure and opens the valve so the oil can filter through, i'm trying find the youtube video on this, as it shows everything you have to do to replace this unit.

I’ve watched the video. Seems like a pain lol. May try and get the dorman replacement spring

mauijim

It’s the oil by pass valve and when it breaks like it by passes the filter so you won’t be filtering the oil. I had the same thing and I had it overnight shipped from Summit I think. IMG_2622.JPG

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Just did some more digging and the Napa in Elko can have that part by Friday. Dunno if that helps you but I figured I'm sitting on my ass I might as well check.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
It’s the oil by pass valve and when it breaks like it by passes the filter so you won’t be filtering the oil. I had the same thing and I had it overnight shipped from Summit I think. View attachment 297012

I got lucky and autozone had one in stock. So I did this for the time being and the dealership is replacing the unit in three weeks

zimm

Caught the Bug
Dumb question, but do the newer (2014+) housings have this problem too, or just the older ones?

BdugJK

Had the same thing happen here, using the Dorman part number I found them at rock auto for pretty cheap and ordered two as well.

Top Bottom