Loose steering and drag link problem with video

draaven

Hey guys,

I've been having some loose steering and traction control problems lately. After reading some posts, I think it may be the drag link. I am posting a video of what happens when you turn the steering wheel side to side a few inches. There is A LOT of play in the steering wheel.

This isn't normal, right?

https://vimeo.com/261219699

E

J

JKDream

Hey guys,

I've been having some loose steering and traction control problems lately. After reading some posts, I think it may be the drag link. I am posting a video of what happens when you turn the steering wheel side to side a few inches. There is A LOT of play in the steering wheel.

This isn't normal, right?

https://vimeo.com/261219699

E

Looks like the nut on the draglink isn't tight at all, and is causing the play you are seeing.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
The only way it could be worse is if it fell off completely. Did you do the flip? Is there a tapered insert installed? I’d check those things before you just tighten it. If it’s been like that for some time, the insert and/or knuckle may need to be replaced.

And give a wave on here unless this is just a trolling attempt.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

draaven

The only way it could be worse is if it fell off completely. Did you do the flip? Is there a tapered insert installed? I’d check those things before you just tighten it. If it’s been like that for some time, the insert and/or knuckle may need to be replaced.

And give a wave on here unless this is just a trolling attempt.

I didn't do this install. It was done years ago. So, I'm not sure if it has a tapered insert. It won't tighten anyway; the nut just spins.

Oh, and I just gave a wave. Been on since 2014 and never posted. Jeez. Haha!

draaven

I wouldn’t suggest drinking and driving in that thing, holy shit that’s loose. Take it apart and post some pics of the hole in the knuckle

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I don't even know how to take it apart at this point. The nut just spins. I think there's an Allen head in the threaded bolt part that the nut is threaded on. I've looked at some videos and instructions, but they haven't helped.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
It looks that way. I put an Allen key in it and tried to tighten, but it wouldn't budge. My Allen wrench was slightly too small, so I may need to make another attempt after I get a larger wrench.

Could be cross threaded. Who knows at this point. Did you try to loosen it? I would suggest getting it off whatever way you can. If you can’t loosen, cut it off. Ensure there is a threaded insert, check condition of that and the knuckle. Replace what’s needed. From your video it looks as if there is no insert. It should be a tapered fit. If it were me, I wouldn’t be driving that until you fix this issue.

jeeeep

Hooked
make sure you have the correct size allen wrench.

You can also PB blast the threads and let it run down into the nut, then using a long enough pry bar, place it under the drag ling across and on top of the axle tube then lift on the bar.

that will put tension on the nut so you can remove it with a socket wrench to make sure the nut is not cross threaded.

If it looks good, wire brush the rust off and put the nut on, you can use the same method with the pry bar to put enough tension on it until you tighten it to proper torque.

Be sure to tighten it to proper torque, don't just tighten the crap out of it.

chances are it's already ruined if it's been that way for awhile

A.J.

If the Allen key won't hold it while you loosen the nut you can try to use a clamp to press the joint into the knuckle to try and hold it. An air impact would be better than a ratchet to loosen it. I have had this happen and was able to pull down on the tie rod hard and run the impact to loosen. Difficult to do in the garage or driveway. Much easier on a rack. If you have a ball joint press you could probably use that to press it in or even rig up something with a big c-clamp. Otherwise as others have said you will need to cut it off. Chances are the joint is crap so you could even pound the joint in with a bfh and see if the taper will hold enough to remove the nut.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

draaven

Hmmm... I think it may be time to just take it to a shop. I'm not so sure I can handle this one on my own.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Last edited:
Top Bottom