Electronic Stability Control (ESC) Issue

Tanktitan

This week driving to Roswell, New Mexico, from the north, I was in a strong cross wind from the west. I was having to steer up into the wind to track straight. In essence I was slightly steering to the right. A stronger gust pushed me to the left and I steered abruptly to the right. The ESC/ABS hit a brake apparently thinking I was in a skid. The computer probably calculated that my wheels were turning at the same speed, but I was needing to oversteer as if I were in a skid. The ESC light came on and stayed on while continuing to drive into the wind. I stopped at an auto parts store to read the OBD II. It was not throwing a code. The light went out shortly thereafter and all has been well since. Not having found this in another thread I thought I would share my experience. Comments and thoughts appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
This week driving to Roswell, New Mexico, from the north, I was in a strong cross wind from the west. I was having to steer up into the wind to track straight. In essence I was slightly steering to the right. A stronger gust pushed me to the left and I steered abruptly to the right. The ESC/ABS hit a brake apparently thinking I was in a skid. The computer probably calculated that my wheels were turning at the same speed, but I was needing to oversteer as if I were in a skid. The ESC light came on and stayed on while continuing to drive into the wind. I stopped at an auto parts store to read the OBD II. It was not throwing a code. The light went out shortly thereafter and all has been well since. Not having found this in another thread I thought I would share my experience. Comments and thoughts appreciated.

I had the same thing happen on the way to Moab the summer before last. Light stayed on until I cycled the ignition at the next stop. I never looked into it at all. The only thing I noticed is I couldn’t turn on cruise control while the light was still on.

Tanktitan

I had the same thing happen on the way to Moab the summer before last. Light stayed on until I cycled the ignition at the next stop. I never looked into it at all. The only thing I noticed is I couldn’t turn on cruise control while the light was still on.

We had the same issue with the cruise. Cycling the ignition did not help. I think putting it into 4 low might have resolved it as that automatically deactivates ESC.

Top Bottom