Rear brake biased???

Ny in az

Got a 2012 and went to 37's and need more stopping power for the added weight and my funds are depleted. Would it make sense to do the rear brake upgrade first and do the fronts second or is my thinking a little off?????

TonyViv

The front brakes do most of your stopping. So i would start off upgrading the fronts first.

Sent from my SM-G930P using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have always know this as well.... but since having my first two vehicles with all wheel disk brakes why do the rears wear almost 2 to 1 of the fronts?
Exactly opposite of every other vehicle Ive ever owned. Is it a disk/drum thing?

DMF

I have always know this as well.... but since having my first two vehicles with all wheel disk brakes why do the rears wear almost 2 to 1 of the fronts?
Exactly opposite of every other vehicle Ive ever owned. Is it a disk/drum thing?

I don't know where I read this bit I think it's the traction control that causes rear brake to wear out faster than the fronts. :idontknow:

BobNH

I don't know where I read this bit I think it's the traction control that causes rear brake to wear out faster than the fronts. :idontknow:
This has been my perception as well. It is a reasonable assumption given they are the drivng wheels, and slip is common in gravel, mud, etc.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

BdugJK

Vote for upgrading the fronts first as well. I agree that they wear due to the ABS and the disk/drum, more heat and use. But wearing twice as fast? Seems a bit much but I have only changed my Jeep's brakes once and it's my first one. I was into low and fast stuff before jeeps, and never had that issue with them.

Zstairlessone

Maybe from brake proportioning valve putting less force on rear pads so light stops slightly drag rears. They don’t heat up as much and wear faster.

Just a guess, but my rear pads always wear out faster on my JKs too.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mcollins443

It’s pretty common on a lot of newer vehicles to wear the rear brakes either before the fronts or at the same time. It’s for vehicle stability mostly. VW was one of the first that started doing this.

If your rear brakes are already worn down, it would make sense to upgrade them while you're at it. That's what I did last year, and I added the front progrips last month.

Did it make a big difference? I tow with mine quite a bit so better braking would be great

It definitely is noticeable and gives you more confidence just with the rears. I ran the rear ProGrips for about 8 months before doing the front ones. Once I added the fronts it was a drastically bigger jump in stopping power.

Top Bottom