BFG KO2 tire question

This question pertains to my JL Rubicon on order.

It is my understanding that the weight of a tire really effects how fast axle parts wear out. If this is true would I get the same amount of wear and tear on the following tires;

BFG KO2, 315 75R 16, 68lbs. width 10.2", height 34.5", rated E.

vs.

BFG KO2, 37x12.5R 17LT, 69lbs. width 10.3", height 36.5", rated D.

I'm on the road 95% of the time (MPG being some what important). The hardest trail I take would be the Rubicon once every other year. So is it safe to run on a D rated tire vs. an E?

Last edited:

NC Taxman

BFG KO2, 315 75R 16, 68lbs. width 10.2", height 34.5", rated E.

vs.

BFG KO2, 37x12.5R 17LT, 69lbs. width 10.3", height 36.5", rated D.

Keep in mind that the wheel for the D-rated tire will be slightly heavier than the E-rated since it's a 17" wheel vs a 16" wheel. However, even with the added weight of the wheel, the total weight difference will be relatively small and shouldn't prematurely wear out any driveline components. If you bought an automatic, be aware that you may lose some power with larger diameter tires, unless you plan to regear at some point. I'm not familiar with the new automatic transmission, so maybe someone can chime in who has experience with it. From a daily driver standpoint, that would be my primary concern. Especially going up and down highway ramps and merging into traffic.

Top Bottom