Hinged Tire Carriers. Evo vs Crawler Conceptz

Pezhead1

Good afternoon Wayalife. I've been researching these two products and I'm interested in the communities take on them. I searched for a thread comparing the 2 but didn't see anything ( I only went back a couple pages). If there is an existing thread does anyone have a quick link? If not what are y'all's opinions between the two?

I have the Crawler Conceptz Ultra Body Mounted tire carrier and love it. Idk about EVO but mine came raw which I thought I’d like painting it on my own but I would’ve definitely paid $40~ for a black powder coat. Pretty easy install and no squeaking while driving. I do occasionally have to tweak the adjustments but that’s as easy as turning a wrench until it stops squeaking while opening. The Crawler conceptz one also has a feature that if you come down on a steep departure angle, it will break a small mount vs tearing the entire carrier off of the body, I don’t know if the EVO one has that.

IMG_3165.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
J

JKDream

I have the Crawler Conceptz Ultra Body Mounted tire carrier and love it. Idk about EVO but mine came raw which I thought I’d like painting it on my own but I would’ve definitely paid $40~ for a black powder coat. Pretty easy install and no squeaking while driving. I do occasionally have to tweak the adjustments but that’s as easy as turning a wrench until it stops squeaking while opening. The Crawler conceptz one also has a feature that if you come down on a steep departure angle, it will break a small mount vs tearing the entire carrier off of the body, I don’t know if the EVO one has that.

View attachment 297807

Interesting review, I have the same carrier and honestly it's been the opposite experience.
It needs to be dissembled frequently and greased (at least once a month) or it squeaks like crazy.
My tailgate has never closed properly no matter how I adjusted it.
Fighting with the license plate bolts to get my spare off is annoying as shit because they're inverted and the nuts hit eachother.
Customer service was awful, my W plate that holds the tire on had the holes drilled in the wrong spot.
When I called to warranty it "Tommy" argued with me it wasn't possible because of their manufacturing process, told me to pay for a new one.
I backed into one tree at a low speed (as fast as reverse with no gas pedal allows) and the carrier folded my tailgate in.

Honestly, I'd never buy another one of their products.

Interesting review, I have the same carrier and honestly it's been the opposite experience.
It needs to be dissembled frequently and greased (at least once a month) or it squeaks like crazy.
My tailgate has never closed properly no matter how I adjusted it.
Fighting with the license plate bolts to get my spare off is annoying as shit because they're inverted and the nuts hit eachother.
Customer service was awful, my W plate that holds the tire on had the holes drilled in the wrong spot.
When I called to warranty it "Tommy" argued with me it wasn't possible because of their manufacturing process, told me to pay for a new one.
I backed into one tree at a low speed (as fast as reverse with no gas pedal allows) and the carrier folded my tailgate in.

Honestly, I'd never buy another one of their products.

Weird yeah I guess you might of gotten a lemon? I do agree that the mounting for the tire plate is difficult and you definitely need some finger dexterity to get it on. I completely forgot how much of pain in the ass that is when rotating tires. And I don’t know much about backing into things except one time I rolled back into the side of a car luckily I wasn’t using any gas and just slightly bumped it haha, no damage to either the tire carrier or car!

CrazyTrainJK

Caught the Bug
I have the EVO body mounted hinged carrier and love it. No squeaking and very solid. The EVO also is designed to bend/break a small bracket if the spare is hit on a ledge and not destroy the tailgate. One of the members on here posted pictures of what happened to his after dropping off a ledge. I would definitely buy again
IMG_0379.jpg 16C8DBD8-82C5-4DE3-B1B7-E7CA0D4ACB19.jpg

mcdesigner

Sorry I don't have first hand experience with the Crawler tailgate but I do have first hand experience dealing with Crawler Concepts. I had ordered bumpers, rock sliders and a tire carrier from Crawler Concepts. After repeated delays for shipping I finally asked to cancel my order. They said fine, 3-5 days to credit back my card. After 2 weeks of no credit I called and emailed and they again said they would credit me. This happened a few more times then I got Visa involved in a charge dispute claim. Crawler Concepts would not respond to Visa. Finally after about 4 months I was able to have Visa credit my account. Crawler Concepts are thieves. If you absolutely must have a Crawler tire carrier go through a distributer that has it in stock but don't expect any support once you have it. It's a shame because I did like CC's design and quality.

On the flip side I have EVO coilovers and some other products and they are top notch.

Sorry I don't have first hand experience with the Crawler tailgate but I do have first hand experience dealing with Crawler Concepts. I had ordered bumpers, rock sliders and a tire carrier from Crawler Concepts. After repeated delays for shipping I finally asked to cancel my order. They said fine, 3-5 days to credit back my card. After 2 weeks of no credit I called and emailed and they again said they would credit me. This happened a few more times then I got Visa involved in a charge dispute claim. Crawler Concepts would not respond to Visa. Finally after about 4 months I was able to have Visa credit my account. Crawler Concepts are thieves. If you absolutely must have a Crawler tire carrier go through a distributer that has it in stock but don't expect any support once you have it. It's a shame because I did like CC's design and quality.

On the flip side I have EVO coilovers and some other products and they are top notch.

Yeah I should have stated that I went through Trail Jeeps when I bought mine so I did not have any contact with Crawler Conceptz. Sorry about that!

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I have the Evo carrier and it doesn’t make a squeak. Rock solid. It came powder coated and install was relatively easy. I’d buy it again, I think it was $80 more than the raw CC carrier.

Pezhead1

Thanks for the feedback. I read about the customer service issues but a lot of those posts were from a year or more ago. Was wondering if it improved. Ive never heard anything negative on EVO products. I will say, I do like the designs from CC but the customer service would drive me crazy.

Benito

Caught the Bug
So, I’m the member who dropped off the ledge and bent the brackets on the EVO carrier, as others have mentioned the carrier itself was fine and nothing else was damaged.

IMG_4591.jpg

IMG_4596.jpg

I had the crawler Concepts carrier on my other Jeep and was happy with it for the most part, had no issues that warranted me contacting the Crawler Concepts so i have no experience with their customer service.

When i was in the market for a tire carrier i really wanted the Teraflex one because of the design and ease of use and didn’t seem bulky, but then I read about them breaking and teraflex in general, so the Crawler Concepts was the closest thing out there that looked strong and was made in the USA. Once EVO released their carrier it was everything i had wanted in the Teraflex carrier and from a company that has a good reputation and is also made in the USA, so i swapped them out and sold the Crawler Concepts

Things i liked about the Crawler Concepts:
1)Ease of use
2)Looked clean from behind
3)The bracket that holds the tire on would tilt and not bend if the tire got hung on ledge
4)install was easy
5)separation from the talegate provided clearance from the rear window(also something i didn’t like continue reading)

IMG_3536.jpg

Things i didn’t like about the CC:
1)the small Heim joints that link the tailgate to the carrier become noisy (spray silicone lube to fix that)
2) the actual hinges also become noisy(spray silicone line to fix that)
3) the side profile, the tire looked like it was hanging off Jeep and wasn’t exactly straight up and down
4) if you tightened down the hinge bolts enough to keep the adjusting cam washers from moving the gate was difficult to open and if you left them a bit loose so that the gate could open easily you would have to adjust the cam bolts every two weeks.

Things i like about the EVO:
1) ease of use
2)looks clean from behind
4) keeps the tire super close to body, really nice!(also something i don’t like, keep reading)
3)easy install

IMG_4306.jpg

Things i don’t like about the Evo
1) the hinges will become noisy (spray silicone lube on them to fix that after every car wash)
2) if you fall off of a ledge and the tire gets hung there is no play in the brackets so they will bend and have to be replaced unless you can beat them back to normal
3) if you fall on a ledge and the tire gets hung up and you have the hard top on, the tire will probably get into the window and break it.

Both worked, both are strong, get which ever one you think looks best.

Last edited:

mcdesigner

Thanks for the feedback. I read about the customer service issues but a lot of those posts were from a year or more ago. Was wondering if it improved. Ive never heard anything negative on EVO products. I will say, I do like the designs from CC but the customer service would drive me crazy.

I placed my order Sept of '17 so Crawler customer service is still shit.

boardsurfer

I chose the Evo over the CC for one reason. Take a look at the mounting solution behind the studs of each carrier. The CC is shaped like angle iron with 2 bolts - The Evo has 3 sides and 3 bolts and is more substantial.

Just take a look and tell me which one you would rather hang 110 pounds of tire and wheel off of.

32770659664_82d0852c7c_c.jpg

CC-USBTC-5.jpg

Last edited:

AlStew

I had the crawler concepts and I didn’t like it. Customer service was good. When I had questions I was put through to the owner one time and another person went in depth on troubleshooting... but I have seen the owner out on havasu a few times in his 30+ ft catamaran power boat. I think it was a maybe a Skater, but it had two huge mercruiser outboards. So I could see why they might be a little late to respond lol.

Jackal01

I chose the Evo over the CC for one reason. Take a look at the mounting solution behind the studs of each carrier. The CC is shaped like angle iron with 2 bolts - The Evo has 3 sides and 3 bolts and is more substantial.

Just take a look and tell me which one you would rather hang 110 pounds of tire and wheel off...

lndqh.jpeg

Top Bottom