Wheelin in 4-LO w/ auto?

ScoobyCarolanNC

So I took my JL out today, for the first time no less, to a local abandoned development which is not posted & has been wheeled by locals for years. There were 2 lifted F-150s doing donuts in a muddy lower part so I scambled up a step incline to access some power line trails & another spot. Both trucks stopped to watch as inched up in 4-lo, connected the fronts & punched it up. Mind you I’m in a stock Sahara with all-terrains & it’s was super easy & comfortable! My 3 year old son was in back and we had fun bouncing around on the trails and rocks on my Jeeps first outing.

Here’s my question for the team: my 2010 JK had the 4 speed auto. Whenever I took it out, I let it do the work & given the limited choices it was generally ok. Now I have the 8 speed & I feel like it was behaving correctly because I was in 4-lo (not acting like we were on the highway) but should I have it in manual and be selective? What are everyone’s feelings or experiences here?

FallonJeeper

I always let the transmission do its thing. I've never found a valid reason to manually shift my automatic other than engine braking on downhills with a heavy load.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

ScoobyCarolanNC

That’s kinda what I figured, but at the same time I know 1 & 2 are pretty steep in the new tranny. I wasn’t sure if I should stick to maybe 2 & 3 for slow control? Probably just a preference thing.

I didn’t get a chance to use the hill decent control yet, but I had it on my new-style explorer years ago. Kind of a cool feature if you have a long steep decent. Push the button, set a speed, keep your feet off the pedals and steer (assuming it works the same here).

BaddestCross

That’s kinda what I figured, but at the same time I know 1 & 2 are pretty steep in the new tranny. I wasn’t sure if I should stick to maybe 2 & 3 for slow control? Probably just a preference thing.

I didn’t get a chance to use the hill decent control yet, but I had it on my new-style explorer years ago. Kind of a cool feature if you have a long steep decent. Push the button, set a speed, keep your feet off the pedals and steer (assuming it works the same here).
Hill-descent probably overrules everything... I don't have it, so I have no experience. Leave it in drive, hit the button, and see what happens. 😎

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
The only time I’ve shifted a JK automatic, was going down the first part of Black Bear pass. You can shift, if you need to, but usually it does fine.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
The only time I ever shifted mine was on a rainy day when I put my tool bag on the front seat under the freedom panel. During a right turn it tipped over...

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Hill descent works as you described. Push button then steer.

As for manual shift, in the JK, I’ve only felt a need on the dunes. Climbing a tall steep dune wide open throttle under load, it won’t downshift when u start to bog down. I have to lift throttle a moment and tell it to shift. Even then only under toughest conditions. Otherwise it’s preference when I want more throttle control.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
One question for those with 37/40s. Given the range of customizations needed to properly run larger tires (larger brakes, axles, ...), I’m curious. Does hill descent control still work as it did when new?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
In 4lo I prefer to auto shift to control rpms especially steep descents and rocks...for all other driving I let the auto do it

BobNH

In 4lo I prefer to auto shift to control rpms especially steep descents and rocks...for all other driving I let the auto do it
This.
I would much rather pick my gear than let the trans heat up switching around.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

ScoobyCarolanNC

Seems like leaving it in auto during 4-lo is the way to go for normal wheeling.

That said, JL hill descent control is crazy... I RTFM. It’s only available in 4-lo. You come to a stop, engage it, and then each gear on the shifter, INCLUDING NEUTRAL, is a preset speed. I forget what they actually are but it’s like N=.6mph, 1st=1.2mph, 2nd=2.3mph, etc... the manual says that the gear shifter, in this mode, does not change the gears. You use the lever and keep your feet off the pedals except to stop. Talk about a trust exercise. In my old explorer you just set it and tapped the gas. If you went 5 it stayed at 5, all the way to 25 mph. Since this only works in 4-lo it was designed to be used seriously. I’d imagine 65% of the jeeps out there never even get shifted to 4-lo. Anyone wanna try it out, film it, and tell us how it goes?:eek:

ScoobyCarolanNC

One question for those with 37/40s. Given the range of customizations needed to properly run larger tires (larger brakes, axles, ...), I’m curious. Does hill descent control still work as it did when new?

I would guess it won’t. Reason being is that it likely requires the speedo and wheel rotation sensor to work properly. An updated aev procal would take care of that though.

JAGS

Hooked
Eddie posted something about manual shifting the JL in Moab.

I wasn’t too clear on the point made and havn’t gone back to read that post again. But it seemed like Tonys JL stalled out on a hill climb.

Maybe eddie will come across this to clarify.

A.J.

This is kinda funny. I think I hit the hill descent button on accident once and it seemed to work but honestly I've never felt like I needed it. 4lo manually shifted is pretty damn slow. I have been on steep enough grades that the tires are sliding and rocks are rolling under the tires( which always feels weird ) but never really felt out of control at all unless it was side hilly and super slick mud ice etc. Does anyone use this feature on a regular basis? Is it smarter than your butt pucker to brake pedal pump muscle signal?

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
This is kinda funny. I think I hit the hill descent button on accident once and it seemed to work but honestly I've never felt like I needed it. 4lo manually shifted is pretty damn slow. I have been on steep enough grades that the tires are sliding and rocks are rolling under the tires( which always feels weird ) but never really felt out of control at all unless it was side hilly and super slick mud ice etc. Does anyone use this feature on a regular basis? Is it smarter than your butt pucker to brake pedal pump muscle signal?

When I first got Stitch, I thought I’d never use hill descent. After all real men do their own braking. Right :)? Then, came across one hill that was giving pucker factor just contemplating it. Thought, what the heck, let’s try it. Impressive. Tipped so far forward, if I’d tried, I’d have locked up wheels on the way down and slid. HDC, manages brakin and throttle...felt controlled all the way down. So, I admit, I’ll use the wussy button once in a while<g>.

A.J.

When I first got Stitch, I thought I’d never use hill descent. After all real men do their own braking. Right :)? Then, came across one hill that was giving pucker factor just contemplating it. Thought, what the heck, let’s try it. Impressive. Tipped so far forward, if I’d tried, I’d have locked up wheels on the way down and slid. HDC, manages brakin and throttle...felt controlled all the way down. So, I admit, I’ll use the wussy button once in a while<g>.

Ok I have got to try this next time out!

Top Bottom