LoD Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited Signature Series Rock Sliders Installation Write-Up

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
More times than not, the best line you can take through a technical section of trail will require you to use your tires to climb up and over big obstacles. Of course, by doing this, your rocker panels quickly become the lowest point on your Jeep JK Wrangler and if left unprotected, you leave the door wide open for significant body damage. It is for this reason that I always recommend a good set of rocker guards or, “rock sliders” as a must have upgrade and only second to a set of tow points front and rear.

Designed to mount directly to the frame rails of your Jeep JK Wrangler, the LoD Signature Series Rock Sliders are without a doubt one of the best rocker guards available on the market today. I have personally run a set on my White JK for over a year and can tell you that in addition to them being incredibly strong and capable of taking punishing abuse, they are also very stylish and work great as a side step.

The step by step write-up below will show you just how easy the LoD Signature Series Rock Slider are to install. Please note that I've done this install a few times and so some of the photos featured will be form different color Jeeps.

What you will need
• 10,13,18mm Socket & Wrench
• 5/8″ Socket & Wrench
• Ratchet
• Floor Jack
• Center Punch
• Hand Drill
• 1/8″ Metal Drill Bit or Unibit
• 7/16″ NF20 Drill & Tap Set
• Cutting Oil

Installation Instructions
1. To remove either the Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon rocker guards or Sahara running boards, use a 10mm wrench to remove the 3 pairs of nuts securing them to the body pinch seam.
main.php

2. Using a 13mm socket, remove the 3 bolts securing the Rubicon factory rocker guards or Sahara running boards to the bottom of the body.
main.php

3. With the 6 nuts and 3 bolts removed, the factory rocker guards or running boards will pull off the body pinch seam with ease.
main.php

4. Starting on the driver side of your Jeep, use an 18mm socket to remove the bolts securing the automatic transmission and transfer case skid plates to the frame rail.
main.php

5. Place your LoD Signature Series Rock Slider on a floor jack and carefully maneuver in place under the driver side rocker panel.
main.php

6. Using the factory hardware, secure your new LoD Signature Series Rock Slider to the points where the automatic transmisson and transfer case skid plates attach the frame rail as shown. An 18mm socket will be needed for this job.
main.php

7. Double check that your LoD Signature Series Rock Slider is sitting straight. Then, using it as a template, mark off all the mounting holes you will need to drill out on the side of the frame rail.
main.php

8. On the mount closest to the rear tire, there are 2 holes on the bottom of the frame rail that you will need to mark off as well.
main.php

9. Remove the 2 bolts securing your LoD Signature Series Rock Slider onto the frame rail and then carefully lower and remove it.
main.php

10. With your LoD Signature Series Rock Slider set aside, locate and mark the center of all the holes you need to drill out with a center punch. This will help keep your drill bit from wandering away once you start drilling.
main.php

11. Using a small metal drilling bit or Unibit, begin drilling pilot holes on all the mounting points that you’ve marked off the frame rail.
main.php

12. If you don’t have one already, you really need to pick up a matched 7/16″ x NF20 Drill Bit and Tap Set like the one shown here.
main.php

13. Using the drill bit that comes with the drill and tap set, finish drilling out all the pilot holes that you made back on step #11.
main.php

14. If you don’t have some already, I would highly recommend that you pick up some cutting oil as it will help make tapping your mounting holes a whole lot easier.
main.php

15. With the help of some cutting oil, slowly and carefully tap all your mounting holes. Due to the body of your Jeep being in the way, you will not be able to use a standard tap handle to do this. I improvised and used a wrench to help me out with this job.
main.php

16. Place your LoD Signature Series Rock Slider back on a floor jack and carefully maneuver in place under driver side rocker panel.
main.php

17. Using the factory hardware, secure your new LoD Signature Series Rock Slider to the points where the automatic transmisson and transfer case skid plates attach to the frame rails. An 18mm socket will be needed for this job.
main.php

18. Using the 7/16″x1″ bolts that come with the kit, secure your LoD Signature Series Rock Slider onto the new mouting holes that you made on the frame rails.
main.php

19. Repeat this process on the passenger side of your Jeep.

And that’s it! You are now ready to take on some big rocks and obstacles without having to worry about damaging your rocker panels. And, as an added bonus, you have a great looking set of side steps too.

Installed Photos
main.php

main.php

main.php

Tackerdown

Banned
d Signature Series Rock Sliders Installation Write-Up

If you would rather I not post in the write up feel free to delete and I'll post elsewhere . You won't hurt my feeling . Question is ,are the rubi rails good enough,I'm sure they are better than nothing but are they really just giving me a false sense of security.

C.O.D.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you would rather I not post in the write up feel free to delete and I'll post elsewhere . You won't hurt my feeling . Question is ,are the rubi rails good enough,I'm sure they are better than nothing but are they really just giving me a false sense of security.

C.O.D.

The Rubi rails actually work suprisingly well. What they lack is a little reach to keep you off the rocks or trees and don't work well as a step like the LoD rocker guards do.

Tackerdown

Banned
The Rubi rails actually work suprisingly well. What they lack is a little reach to keep you off the rocks or trees and don't work well as a step like the LoD rocker guards do.
Thanks thats along the lines of what I was thinking. I just wasn't sure of the abuse they could take. I really haven't pushed my limits but the last time I went wheeling I felt like I had my big boy pants on so I'm sure it wont be long before I test thing out :rolleyes2: in my beast.
Thanks again.

AMGrider

I notice that the rails do not travel the length of the pinch seam like the rubicon rails do. Wont that introduce a point to get hung up on if you are actually sliding across a rock?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I notice that the rails do not travel the length of the pinch seam like the rubicon rails do. Wont that introduce a point to get hung up on if you are actually sliding across a rock?

I suppose it's possible but not something I've ever encountred. Of course, I've had to trim my pinch seams to help clear my big tires so that could be part of it too :crazyeyes: :D

JKBANDIT55

These look awesome and will probably be my purchase. even though I just threw on some stock rubi sliders, I think this will be a more permanent solution!

heybob

Will these work with the evo rocker skins? I can't get a good idea of the clearance from the pictures.

thanks!

heybob

Awesome thanks for the quick response Eddie. I love the step because I have a 17mo old and my wife is 5'00". I'm already catching heck for the 3" lift and 35s lol.

Found my next purchase!

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug
Will these work with the evo rocker skins? I can't get a good idea of the clearance from the pictures.

thanks!

Just installed them and I have the Evo Rockskins. I will post some pics, but I had no clearance issues. Btw, the black powder coat on the LoDs are a match to the Rockskin Powder coat.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Thx for the write-up. Looks like a modest garage install, just a step above a five tire rotation. In addition to their primary use, I also like the step and body protection for parking lot door dings. I'll put my own off-road scratches, wrinkles and dings in the body, thank you very much. It's sweet when someone really whacks your Jeep in Wal-Mart they are totally the loser.:yup:

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Thx for the write-up. Looks like a modest garage install, just a step above a five tire rotation. In addition to their primary use, I also like the step and body protection for parking lot door dings. I'll put my own off-road scratches, wrinkles and dings in the body, thank you very much. It's sweet when someone really whacks your Jeep in Wal-Mart they are totally the loser.:yup:

Speaking of door slammers. It was a dick move on my part, but a few years back I had my GMC. Overall, 9 inch lift on 37's. Pretty nice truck. Went out to the bar and got absolutely trashed. Called my brother a cab to the bar so he could drive me and my truck home. I decided hey lets go get food. Stopped at a Taco Bell for some late night grub. Were sitting in the parking lot eating and this dude and his chick come out. He opens his door and slammed his door right into my truck. I said, damn dude take it easy.. I got the F U.. Im like K whatever. As he gets in his car he slammed his door into my truck TWICE more, completely on purpose. I yelled all right asshole.. I barely cracked my door, put my foot on it and kicked open as hard as I could. It smashed his window out, and put a big ass dent in his door. I was getting out of the truck and his girl peeled out and took off. I felt better. But the next day I felt like an A hole...

Paratroopers stay up longer!

StrizzyChris

Thx for the write-up. Looks like a modest garage install, just a step above a five tire rotation. In addition to their primary use, I also like the step and body protection for parking lot door dings.

I installed these and, while not tremendously hard, they take a lot of time and patients(especially if u do it alone like I did). I would say 5 steps above a tire rotation(like my scale). Tons of drilling and tapping. It'll make ur hand sore by the end.

But I am very happy with the mall parking lot protection as well! :yup:

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

Top Bottom