MAKE SURE to be in MANUAL SHIFT when Wheeling in 4LO

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
While wheeling out in Moab during the recent Easter Jeep Safari, Cindy and I discovered a rather odd if not troubling issue with the JL Wrangler's new 8-speed automatic transmission. Specifically, if you're in 4LO and have your transmission shifted to "D" or drive, you may experience a momentary loss of power while attempting an obstacle that requires a bit of throttle. This can cause you to loose the momentum you were needing and allow you to fall off your line. The first time I saw this happen was on JeepFan's JL and on this obstacle.

20180331180348-07713727-me.jpg

I should note that I experienced this problem for myself while attempting a similar obstacle and I won't lie, it kind of spooked me. For a brief moment, it felt like my engine just cut out and for no good reason. Of course, the answer to this problem is to make sure you have your transmission shifted into the manual shift mode or what is also known as 'M-Gate'. Granted, it can be hard to remember at times especially when you're shifting into reverse and then back into drive again but so long as you're in M-Gate, this problem will not occur. Anyway, I know all this may seem obvious to some of you out there but it wasn't for me. Hopefully this information will be helpful to others.

JAGS

Hooked
Glad you posted this up as I’ve been meaning to go back and ask where you first mentioned it. And it was noted in another thread.

I’ll be honest and say in my JK I am hardly in manual shift mode. Usually I just don’t even think about it, it being an automatic. And if I do, it’s usually a first gear climb or maybe a geared decline down a large hill use and then back to auto.

All said, I don’t honestly know if I’m even doing that right. LOL. Any hint on which gear to use for a particular situation if different than the above???

MTG

Caught the Bug
First to post that the JL isn't a real jeep and this is just another example of it. :crazyeyes:

Coop

Caught the Bug
My 2015 5 speed will do the same thing, shift from 1st to 2nd on a steep incline. My prep is the same, go to manual shift mode.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
I use manual shift in 4lo with both the Brute & Jk6 often...especially on the rocks or steep descents, when compression braking is needed...

jeffj

Caught the Bug
In my JK when I’m in 4lo, from park to drive it is actually in second gear. You have to tap shift it over to go in first. I thought it was something funky with my 2012 but, my 2014 does the same thing. I was wondering if it is that way on all jks

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’ve run into that same issue on steep hill climbs in the dunes or on a muddy slope. Scary the first time it happens to you. Since then I will typically have it in 2nd for most or if it’s really steep, I’ll preset in first.

RockingK

😳

Good to know, when your counting on momentum to carry you over that critical break over and it defuels to shift could result in a loop or like ET sliding backwards on steep slick surface.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you posted this up as I’ve been meaning to go back and ask where you first mentioned it. And it was noted in another thread.

I’ll be honest and say in my JK I am hardly in manual shift mode. Usually I just don’t even think about it, it being an automatic. And if I do, it’s usually a first gear climb or maybe a geared decline down a large hill use and then back to auto.

All said, I don’t honestly know if I’m even doing that right. LOL. Any hint on which gear to use for a particular situation if different than the above???

Unlike the JK, when you shift into manual mode, the transmission will default to 2nd gear. If you want to go lower, you have to manually shift it to 1st. That being said, 2nd isn't a bad gear to be bumping up an obstacle like Slide Rock as you kind of need to move through it.

That would definitely throw me off, crazy

It'll not only throw you off, it'll prevent you from clearing a big obstacle. The crazy thing is, you don't even need to be giving a lot of throttle to make this happen.

Weird for sure. Can’t say I’ve ever heard of that before. Thanks for the info!

Annoying or maybe even unpleasant is more the word I'd use but at least it can be dealt with and with ease.

Weird. Honestly before the LS I never messed with the manual shifting on the automatic, but now I do.

Up until recently, all my Jeeps have been manuals so the thought of using manual mode is something that I prefer to use. That being said, it's never been something I felt I "needed" to use especially on obstacles that I'm familiar with. Now I know it's necessary.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First to post that the JL isn't a real jeep and this is just another example of it. :crazyeyes:

:cheesy:

With my LS I’ve had that happen to me so I use manual mode a lot.

Really? I can't say that I've ever experienced anything like sudden and complete power loss with my LS in full auto.

That would definitely be some major pucker factor depending on the obstacle.

Believe me, on an obstacle like Slide Rock, it is.

My 2015 5 speed will do the same thing, shift from 1st to 2nd on a steep incline. My prep is the same, go to manual shift mode.

I should note that unlike the JK, the transmission doesn't so much as shift - it just momentarily looses all power. It's like it wants to shift but then doesn't.

I use manual shift in 4lo with both the Brute & Jk6 often...especially on the rocks or steep descents, when compression braking is needed...

LOL!! And that's another rant I'll have to make. As much as I love the new 8-speed auto, it doesn't compression brake with a hill of beans. It just revs up the engine real loud and then lets go. I'm hoping there's a software fix for this in the future.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In my JK when I’m in 4lo, from park to drive it is actually in second gear. You have to tap shift it over to go in first. I thought it was something funky with my 2012 but, my 2014 does the same thing. I was wondering if it is that way on all jks

Yup, 2nd is the default on the JL.

I’ve run into that same issue on steep hill climbs in the dunes or on a muddy slope. Scary the first time it happens to you. Since then I will typically have it in 2nd for most or if it’s really steep, I’ll preset in first.

Honestly, I might be okay with the transmission actually shifting into a higher gear but on the JL, you just momentarily loose all power. I'm only "assuming" the problem is a shift issue being that you can mitigate it by putting the transmission into manual.

Good to know, when your counting on momentum to carry you over that critical break over and it defuels to shift could result in a loop or like ET sliding backwards on steep slick surface.

This had happened to both Tony and I. Not a pleasant feeling.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Yup, 2nd is the default on the JL.

Honestly, I might be okay with the transmission actually shifting into a higher gear but on the JL, you just momentarily loose all power. I'm only "assuming" the problem is a shift issue being that you can mitigate it by putting the transmission into manual.

This had happened to both Tony and I. Not a pleasant feeling.

It actually was the opposite. It would upshift going from 2nd to 3rd causing the rpms to drop and killing your momentum. If it were down shifting I’d be all set!!

longarmwj

My WJ, WK2, and JKU all do/have done this. Good info though for those who may not know about it :thumb:

I´m not sure if I know what a jk6 is but a brute I guess is a aev conversion of a jku?

Anyway, with the decline assist function in the jk you actually do not have to use the engine compression that is not very great on a petrol engine anyway. I think that there is a function on the decline assist that maybee some do knot know about.

When in 4low and descend assist activated, the speed that the breaks alow the jeep to go down depends on what gear you have choosen. when first gear is selected it goes very slowly and in second a little bit faster and so on. It does not matter what actuall gear the automatic is in but what you have choosen.

I know all this electronic gismoz can be a bit noobish but it actually works really great.

SDG

Caught the Bug
With my LS I’ve had that happen to me so I use manual mode a lot.
Voldemort flopped his jeep in a hot tub a couple years ago and had it in auto with an LS and it switched gears as they were coming out.

Whoops

Top Bottom