My electronic swaybar disconnect killed my jeep

20jk08

Well, I didn't realize it could happen, but now I know.
My SBD light started flashing 2 days ago, thought I had some dirty connections, and was waiting for decent weather to get the connector off and take a look. Yesterday, all the idiot lights started flashing, I pulled over, shut off the jeep, and thats where it sat until I had to get towed home. I had a no start, no click, no nothing situation. Just beeping, lights flashing, alarm going off, key fob not working, the whole nine yards. I went to the dealership for a diagnosis to have them find the swaybar diconnect connector was fried, burnt, toast. Little did I know this would cause no communication to all the other electronic systems in the vehicle, go figure. I thought maybe the anti theft had locked the vehicle up on me, and the Wireless Control Module was pooched. . So, long story short, the mechanic disconnected it, and all issues disappeared. I will be installing the Manual Rubicon Swaybar Disconnect, (about $2700.00 cheaper than a motor assembly)and live with the flashing light until I get a programmer to turn that off.
So, maybe a heads up for anyone else this might happen to,,,,

The Christmas lights while driving
149002890.jpg

The connection on the motor
149007272.jpg

Last edited:
My light blinked at me for a while and went away. Dealer checked it out and said it was ok. Planning on checking it out myself still, but this sounds like a crummy situation.

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
I bought a new sway bar disco motor on eBay for $300 and the wiring harness at the dealer for $120. They don't come up all the time on eBay, but they are out there. Way better than $2000+ at the dealer.

Rascal3

I was just given the advice last week to go with the manual disconnect so not to encounter the same problem you had. I guess I will be going with the manual after reading your post.:whew:

20jk08

re:

I was just given the advice last week to go with the manual disconnect so not to encounter the same problem you had.

Ya, I think even though it's already fried, I want to find a good way to water proof the connector (male end) when I tie it up out of the way, to eliminate any chance of shorting out the circut...

Rascal3

Ya, I think even though it's already fried, I want to find a good way to water proof the connector (male end) when I tie it up out of the way, to eliminate any chance of shorting out the circut...

I would like to know what you decide to go with so that I can follow your lead on water proofing the connector.

20jk08

re:

I'm thinking of giving it a few coats of "Plastidip spray electrical insulation". Cleaning it up and drying it out really well first of course.

ssfirefighter

Does anyone have any pictures?

I've been having this problem too.... I think. The traction control light and sway bar light started flashing on the dash, then ALL the light started flashing, then as fast as they came on, they went out. I've had it at the dealer 4 times trying to figure this out and they can't reproduce it or figure it out. They did replace some module on the first trip, but the lights came back on, on the way home. They just have me documenting when and how they are coming on and want me to bring it back in when I have a few of them logged.

Anyone think this is the same problem?

Thanks,

Last edited:

Zigy

2008 Rubicon Same Thing!

Does anyone have any pictures?

I've been having this problem too.... I think. The traction control light and sway bar light started flashing on the dash, then ALL the light started flashing, then as fast as they came on, they went out. I've had it at the dealer 4 times trying to figure this out and they can't reproduce it or figure it out. They did replace some module on the first trip, but the lights came back on, on the way home. They just have me documenting when and how they are coming on and want me to bring it back in when I have a few of them logged.

Anyone think this is the same problem?

Thanks,
sounds like same problem!
last Wed Nov 12, 2014 the same thing happen to my Rubicon, flat bed to Stealership, sway bar switch, quote $1753.00 part 7 hours labour @ $112.00/hour+tax got them to bypass sway bar switch, still cost me $780.00 for a $2.10 part 6.77 hours labour @ $112.00 jeep is running now but sway bar light is flashing...

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I wonder if there is a proactive solution to this problem....inject the connector full of electrical grease to keep it healthy?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Has anyone tried simply unplugging it and going with the EVO No Limits?

Well my rig is relatively new, so I'd like to preserve it and stop it from corroding, but I guess you are asking if your jeep is dead in the water, would unplugging it fix the problem?

Bacon

sounds like same problem!
last Wed Nov 12, 2014 the same thing happen to my Rubicon, flat bed to Stealership, sway bar switch, quote $1753.00 part 7 hours labour @ $112.00/hour+tax got them to bypass sway bar switch, still cost me $780.00 for a $2.10 part 6.77 hours labour @ $112.00 jeep is running now but sway bar light is flashing...

7 hours?!?! Is that a typo? If not you really need to find a new dealership. Head gaskets shoud take that long, not repacing a switch.

Top Bottom