Longer studs?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'd have to agree, there should be no need for longer studs unless you're running thin wheel spacers but then, I wouldn't recommend you run them.

Fragman565

I know but all the lugs are striping out because I'm only getting a little bit of of threads on the lug like 6 threads around the stud and there like another inch of thread to go

JKBANDIT55

I know but all the lugs are striping out because I'm only getting a little bit of of threads on the lug like 6 threads around the stud and there like another inch of thread to go

Like mentioned by others. We have no clue what your talking about. I have never even heard of this happening. A pic would help explain the problem your having. I just don't see why your studs aren't long enough. If i were you, I wouldn't use the wheels you have, they obviously aren't made for your vehicle

JKBANDIT55

So you mean to say your Lug Nuts aren't long enough? What kind of wheels do you have? If your lug nuts aren't long enough to tighten your wheel, I wouldn't use your wheels as they seem not made for your jeep. Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable throwing wheels on my jeep that are too thin to where the lug nuts aren't getting tight enough.

GCM 2

First, for all those who have never heard of it- Yes, there is such a thing as installing longer wheel studs. However, it is not something that is commonly done on stock vehicles and even when using an aftermarket rim. Longer wheel studs are more common in the world of racing; a longer stud helps for two reasons in a racing application- it allows easier placement of a wheel on to the hub/axle flange during quick change pit stops, and maybe more importantly also allows the first 1/2"-1" of thread on the stud to be smooth down (like a dowel pin). Then just like in a NASCAR pit stop, wheels with lug nuts already glued on the rim will slide over the smooth portion of the longer stud and make it easy for an impact gun to index the lug nut thread to the wheel stud thread while minimizing chance of crossing them. Ok, enough being Captain Obvious and preaching to the choir.

Now let's address some things that you may be able to do without installing longer wheel studs; lug nuts do come in two basic types-

1) tapered- this type has a conical taper on the outside of the threaded base side. You appear to have these, this is what helps to center a wheel on an axle flange.

2) flange- this type has a flat base where the threads begin. These are not nearly as common and typically on specialty wheels.

It's hard to tell with your wheels, but it's not impossible that you may need flange type lug nuts with the flat face, not the conical tapered face.

If you decide it is certain that you need longer wheel studs, DO NOT GO CHEAP! Use a quality stud like an ARP, they are the standard for these kinds of fasteners/bolts

http://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/arp-wheel-studs

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-Wheel-Studs/1224592/10002/-1

Attachments

• image-2214312762.jpg
    image-2214312762.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 65
  • image-614588415.jpg
    image-614588415.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

in4low

That wheel looks like it is centered by the sholder or flange that screws down into the wheel and that would ad about 3/4" more threads on five studs holding the wheel the tapered nuts are for a factory wheel steel or aluminum wheel. go to your local tire shop or off road store.

Top Bottom