Which Top for the Rocky Mtn Winter

Jsouder53

Hooked
My wife and I are moving to Bozeman, Montana in the beginning of June. Our question to everyone who has lived in the Rocky’s is which top is best for the heavy snowfall and cold winters. My thinking would be the hard top, but i had also thought of just selling it and only running our mopar premium soft top. I would like to hear the pros and cons of both.

Just planning ahead :crazyeyes:

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

boardsurfer

I am guessing since you're choosing one or the other, you wont have space to store one? If you park in a garage you could get away with the soft top. Otherwise I would probably stick with the hard top.

Jsouder53

Hooked
I am guessing since you're choosing one or the other, you wont have space to store one? If you park in a garage you could get away with the soft top. Otherwise I would probably stick with the hard top.

Thanks for the response, we are not certain if we will have a garage to park the Jeep inside. We have talked about possibly getting a storage unit to put all of my tools and Jeep stuff in, which we would put the hardtop in.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
My wife and I are moving to Bozeman, Montana in the beginning of June. Our question to everyone who has lived in the Rocky’s is which top is best for the heavy snowfall and cold winters. My thinking would be the hard top, but i had also thought of just selling it and only running our mopar premium soft top. I would like to hear the pros and cons of both.

I have both just like you. I like having the hard top for the winters and camping. The noise reduction and rear wiper is good to have in the winter. When camping I like the extra security to deter people and animals. We have a lot of raccoons at the campgrounds. That being said, I can’t wait to get my soft top back on! Looks like a better string of weather is here so maybe this weekend?

Jsouder53

Hooked
I have both just like you. I like having the hard top for the winters and camping. The noise reduction and rear wiper is good to have in the winter. When camping I like the extra security to deter people and animals. We have a lot of raccoons at the campgrounds. That being said, I can’t wait to get my soft top back on! Looks like a better string of weather is here so maybe this weekend?

Thats great to hear about having the wiper in the winter. I'm sure there is better insulation with having the hardtop as well, is it significant?
Glad to hear you are finally getting soft top weather! Here in Florida, its back to the point of too hot for me to have the top off at any point of time :naw:

boardsurfer

Another thing to consider - and it's fairly rare - is you dont want to be messing with a soft top when it is frigid cold outside. Brushing snow off of it, etc. The windows can be brittle. That's why if you had a garage, that whole process is a lot less likely.

It's not a matter of staying warm inside the Jeep. We all know that heater is like a furnace. You could even grab some cheap seat heaters off amazon. That's what I did and they are freakin awesome.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Another thing to consider - and it's fairly rare - is you dont want to be messing with a soft top when it is frigid cold outside. Brushing snow off of it, etc. The windows can be brittle. That's why if you had a garage, that whole process is a lot less likely.

It's not a matter of staying warm inside the Jeep. We all know that heater is like a furnace. You could even grab some cheap seat heaters off amazon. That's what I did and they are freakin awesome.

I’ll have to look into those seat heaters! By the sound of it, I’ll be saving the hardtop for winters [emoji106] thanks for the heads up guys

WJCO

Meme King

We've gone 2 years now here in Colorado with the soft top and wouldn't change back to the hard top. Granted it is garaged at night. My wife drives it with the kids and no complaints. Here's another thread to look at as I had the same question as you when we first got the JK:

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/3454-Question-change-hard-top-to-soft-top-and-back

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Thats great to hear about having the wiper in the winter. I'm sure there is better insulation with having the hardtop as well, is it significant?
Glad to hear you are finally getting soft top weather! Here in Florida, its back to the point of too hot for me to have the top off at any point of time :naw:

The hardtop is more air tight so would think so. Honestly, I change to the hardtop at the first snowflake so can’t really comment any further.

The summers in Florida are just as oppressive as the winters in Wisconsin, just in a different way.

When we retire, we will spend 8 or 9 months in Wisconsin and the other months somewhere warmer.

Jsouder53

Hooked
We've gone 2 years now here in Colorado with the soft top and wouldn't change back to the hard top. Granted it is garaged at night. My wife drives it with the kids and no complaints. Here's another thread to look at as I had the same question as you when we first got the JK:

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/3454-Question-change-hard-top-to-soft-top-and-back

Thank you, I’ll take a look at that when I get a chance!

The hardtop is more air tight so would think so. Honestly, I change to the hardtop at the first snowflake so can’t really comment any further.

The summers in Florida are just as oppressive as the winters in Wisconsin, just in a different way.

When we retire, we will spend 8 or 9 months in Wisconsin and the other months somewhere warmer.

I can certainly understand why, I would if I could

Top Bottom