Carbon Axle

critter812

Just curious if anyone has had any experience with Carbon offroad axles. looks like its just a currie but they offer a 10 year Warranty on assembly and 15 on the shafts. Was wondering if anyone has ever had experience with them. I know their tubes are are thinner than a PR44. they are 3" X .375 Vs 3" X .5. I am more interested in anyone who had issue and delt with the warranty.

JKbrick

Just curious if anyone has had any experience with Carbon offroad axles. looks like its just a currie but they offer a 10 year Warranty on assembly and 15 on the shafts. Was wondering if anyone has ever had experience with them. I know their tubes are are thinner than a PR44. they are 3" X .375 Vs 3" X .5. I am more interested in anyone who had issue and delt with the warranty.

I think a regular pr44 is wall thickness .380 and the unlimited pr44 is .5 but I could be wrong

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What about issues with Currie?

If you mean regarding their warranty, the only problem I've seen is on their Rock Jock 60. Randy Byers, a regular on the JKX ran them in the past but kept breaking shafts. Currie eventually told him that they weren't going to warranty them anymore and at least according to him, it was because he was wheeling "too hard". That being said, I don't know if I've heard of any problems with their 44.

critter812

If you mean regarding their warranty, the only problem I've seen is on their Rock Jock 60. Randy Byers, a regular on the JKX ran them in the past but kept breaking shafts. Currie eventually told him that they weren't going to warranty them anymore and at least according to him, it was because he was wheeling "too hard". That being said, I don't know if I've heard of any problems with their 44.

Thank you for the honest feedback! This is why I come here for all the right answers!

The BAD Influence

Warranty is only as good as the company behind it.
I'm getting close to having the funds to upgrade and by my estimate there's only a few hundred dollars difference between Carbon and the PR44.
Carbon
10 & 15 year warranty
JJ on upper CA mount
Choice of locker
30 spline
.375 wall
PR44
1 year warranty
Rubber bushings
ARB only
35 spline
.500 wall
I am having a difficult time trying to decide.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

As I always like to say, the best warranty is the one you never have to use. I've run ProRock 44's twice now and the 2nd was with factory Rubicon internals. Never had an issue with either. I still run the exact same ProRock 60 front axle that I had installed on Moby almost 10 years ago and now has about 150,000 miles on - never had a problem with it. Granted, I am just a mall crawler.

mallavoider

I'm getting close to having the funds to upgrade and by my estimate there's only a few hundred dollars difference between Carbon and the PR44.
Carbon
10 & 15 year warranty
JJ on upper CA mount
Choice of locker
30 spline
.375 wall
PR44
1 year warranty
Rubber bushings
ARB only
35 spline
.500 wall

With PR44 you can chose RCV axles and those are 30 spline. That is what I have one mine, along with ARB lockers. So far so good. But only 4 months on the clock. My 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I-Eat-Mud

Carbon
10 & 15 year warranty
JJ on upper CA mount
Choice of locker
30 spline
.375 wall
PR44
1 year warranty
Rubber bushings
ARB only
35 spline
.500 wall

So it sounds to me like the PR44 should be tougher. And its by a well known company. The Carbon will be weaker, but it has a longer warranty by a fairly unknown new company. Personally, i'd go with the Dynatrac with that little cost difference.

On the other hand if nobody guinea pigs the Carbon, how will we ever know?

jesse3638

Hooked
Dynatrac's reputation and customer service precedes their warranty. I wouldn't hesitate to run anything they make knowing the likihood of me using their warranty would be slim to none. If I broke what they built I was doing something stupid and driving beyond its capability. 37's on a Dana 30 will work until you begin to push it. Once you push hard enough it will break.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Carbon
10 & 15 year warranty
JJ on upper CA mount
Choice of locker
30 spline
.375 wall
PR44
1 year warranty
Rubber bushings
ARB only
35 spline
.500 wall

For a few hundred, Dynatrac.

J

JKDream

it's about a 1k difference
That also includes a better locker, significantly stronger axle shafts, stronger tubes.

**And a high clearance design which actually does make a difference. I've had several instances where the cutout in the pumpkin stopped me from getting hung up.

You're not really comparing apples to apples here.
I bet if you looked at a PR44 for Rubi Internals and no tube upgrade, the cost would be very similar.

Ironically Currie axles (assuming that's who makes these) is the only aftermarket brand I've seen a housing break on.
Wonder why there's a 10 year warranty :thinking:

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

Brute

Hooked
There's an old saying "you get what you pay for"...like many old sayings, they are based on fact. I have four different sets of Dynatrac axles, and will be getting a fifth set this summer...and they are worth every penny

Exodus 4x4

I became a dealer because a local was really interested and I was willing to play along. He bought some replacement shafts for his front D30, nothing crazy. They shipped fast and seemed as good as any other I’ve seen. They were easy to deal with when I called them on the phone.

They seem to be using quality parts and are confident enough in them to offer a really good warranty. With such limited first hand experience it’s hard to say anything good or bad at this point, but every company at one point or another started out this way.

Robertcrav

Carbon itself is not a new company, the owners actually have a long history. Their partnership with Currie to brand the axles is new. Ron and Austin (Carbon) are good helpful guys. I run the Currie RJ44s with Carbon shafts that literally came out of Austins Jeep.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Top Bottom