Steering off

erik932

Hey so I was off roading and I guess I hit my drag link so my steering wheel was off so when I went to straighten it out I noticed my draglink was really loose and the nut is stripped. Should I replace the drag link entirely or is there an easier solution to this? My steering wheel never seems to be right on it has a lot of play too the left and it cause my sensor to go off and a grinding sound comes from my Jeep when I’m braking. Any help appreciated! Also I am running the evo draglink flip

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
You likely hit your tie rod not your drag link. Your drag link is pretty tucked up out of the way. Bending your tie rod throws off your draglink causing your steering wheel to be off.

If your draglink lockdown bolts were loose it could potentially rotate with vibration causing it to be off as well. If the threads on the actual draglink bar are stripped you’ll likely need to replace it. Otherwise you can probably find a new or used collar that would work. Just make sure to tighten it down so your draglink doesn’t move.

That grinding noise is your ESP system going haywire. It means your steeling is way off center causing your ESP to think you’ve lost control. You may need a programmer to recenter it.

jesse3638

Hooked
Hey so I was off roading and I guess I hit my drag link so my steering wheel was off so when I went to straighten it out I noticed my draglink was really loose and the nut is stripped. Should I replace the drag link entirely or is there an easier solution to this? My steering wheel never seems to be right on it has a lot of play too the left and it cause my sensor to go off and a grinding sound comes from my Jeep when I’m braking. Any help appreciated! Also I am running the evo draglink flip

Which nut are you referring to? Axle end nut, pitman arm end nut, or one of the two nuts on the adjustment collar? If its the collar Dynatrac make a great aftermarket replacement. Also you will only need a programmer to change the factory positioned center (what the clock spring registers as center) of the steering wheel. Centering the steering wheel to align with the factory position will cure your ESC problems with no programmer.

erik932

Samuelh3 I don’t think it’s stripped because I am able to move the steering wheel just fine. It could be that I bent the tie rod but if I did I honestly don’t see it, looks pretty straight to me. @jesse3638 I am referring to the nut that goes into the knuckle.

erik932

Which nut are you referring to? Axle end nut, pitman arm end nut, or one of the two nuts on the adjustment collar? If its the collar Dynatrac make a great aftermarket replacement. Also you will only need a programmer to change the factory positioned center (what the clock spring registers as center) of the steering wheel. Centering the steering wheel to align with the factory position will cure your ESC problems with no programmer.

IMG_1081.jpg

jesse3638

Hooked
Samuelh3 I don’t think it’s stripped because I am able to move the steering wheel just fine. It could be that I bent the tie rod but if I did I honestly don’t see it, looks pretty straight to me. @jesse3638 I am referring to the nut that goes into the knuckle.

If it's loose it will just spin there should be a hex head between the boot and knuckle to hold it so it won't spin so you can tighten it. 65ft lbs comes to mind for torque specs

Edit: Actually the end of the stud should have a place to put a hex key to hold it while you tighten it.

Top Bottom