Dana44 Rear wheel bearing play

Jellymon

While doing my rear brake pads I noticed the rear wheels had little play in them, maybe about 1/8" of movement with a very slight clunk sound. I was just wondering if this is normal for an 08 JKU Rubicon Dana44?

Not sure if it has anything to do with the above, but the other day my abs lights came on and the rear left brakes were working by themselves which heated up my wheel/caliper. The lights went out but had code U1417. After disconnecting/reconnecting the wheel speed sensor the code went away, but after a few miles the brake in the left rear is working by itself again. I'm going to replace the wheel speed sensor, but I'm hoping it doesn't have something to do with the rear wheel bearings. Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks.

Vilmars

Funny just did my rear brakes on the 28th and noticed some play in my rear axles. I’m not near 1/8 more like 1/32-1/16” both axles. Did some research but didn’t find anything concrete.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

dytrdr5

I’ve worked on 3 different Jeeps lately and all of them had the inner wheel bearings race very loose, so loose that I can spin it by hand and remove them. Seems like it’s a very loose fit, I’ve glued all of them in place with Loctite bearing race compound, I think it’s 680 bearing race retainer

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
I’ve worked on 3 different Jeeps lately and all of them had the inner wheel bearings race very loose, so loose that I can spin it by hand and remove them. Seems like it’s a very loose fit, I’ve glued all of them in place with Loctite bearing race compound, I think it’s 680 bearing race retainer

It's normal that they're loose and can be removed by hand.

jjdias

I'm dealing with the same issue on a 2017 JKUR. It's in the shop for what I thought was a bad wheel bearing but when the axle shaft was removed the race fell out. Hopefully the new bearing will be a tighter fit and I can drive it to Tillamook for the Jeep Jamboree USA run.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
That seems weird to me that they would be so loose, could this lead to the axle housing side wearing down or does the play go away once you tighten everything down?

No, friction is still a thing. :thumb:

I'm dealing with the same issue on a 2017 JKUR. It's in the shop for what I thought was a bad wheel bearing but when the axle shaft was removed the race fell out. Hopefully the new bearing will be a tighter fit and I can drive it to Tillamook for the Jeep Jamboree USA run.

IF the shop is telling you THIS is your issue, I'ed find a new shop... why did you take it in, in the first place?

Nearly every rear 44 axle bearing race that I've removed, the race came out by hand. I've had a couple where I had to use a puller, but it took barely any effort.

Eddie's write-up shows the same:

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...-Axle-Shaft-Removal-amp-Installation-Write-Up

View attachment 302621

This ^ :thumb:

jjdias

No, friction is still a thing. :thumb:

IF the shop is telling you THIS is your issue, I'ed find a new shop... why did you take it in, in the first place?

This ^ :thumb:

I have a chirping/squeal noise coming from the rear and when I jacked the rear end up off the ground I noticed some play on the read driver side wheel. Thinking it was a wheel bearing I too it to a family friend who owns a tire/auto shop because I am under a tight time frame as I leave for a road trip on Friday and didn't think the local Jeep dealership would be able to get it in and back to me in time for my trip. Sounds like its just normal to have some play and my noise is just a bent flange.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I have a chirping/squeal noise coming from the rear and when I jacked the rear end up off the ground I noticed some play on the read driver side wheel. Thinking it was a wheel bearing I too it to a family friend who owns a tire/auto shop because I am under a tight time frame as I leave for a road trip on Friday and didn't think the local Jeep dealership would be able to get it in and back to me in time for my trip. Sounds like its just normal to have some play and my noise is just a bent flange.

:thumb:
Sounds EXACTLY like a bent flange to me per description :beer:

*Chirp Chirp Chirp, press brakes *Silent?

jjdias

:thumb:
Sounds EXACTLY like a bent flange to me per description :beer:

*Chirp Chirp Chirp, press brakes *Silent?

Yep that's it press the brakes and it goes away. The bearing was bad and was squealing bad with play, wheel would move up and down and in and out. Now I just have to replaced the axle after I get back from my trip. I was thinking about the carbon offroad axles are they any good?

BaddestCross

Yep that's it press the brakes and it goes away. The bearing was bad and was squealing bad with play, wheel would move up and down and in and out. Now I just have to replaced the axle after I get back from my trip. I was thinking about the carbon offroad axles are they any good?
I run their fronts and I have the rear kit on order. The front axle shafts seem to be built well - they use Spicer u-joints with full circle clips - so I went ahead with the rear kit. They should be here in a few days so I'll know more then. 👍

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Top Bottom