Re-gearing and other questions from a noob.

Josh2313

Hey all,

So my soon-to-be wife did something crazy yesterday and now I have 5 37x12.5r17 Cooper STT Pro's coming my way from discount tire. As of now my 2016 freedom edition Jk's suspension is completely stock. Obviously that needs to change. The game plan is to get the Metalcloak 3.5 game changer lift. I know I should regear as well and I'm thinking 4.88's (3.21 right now). As much as I love to think I off road, I don't. The trails I do any stock jeep would do just as good so I don't think i need to upgrade to a D44 upfront, but I could be completely wrong. What is everyone's suggestions for what I should or shouldn't do? Upgrade my d30 with C gussets and a truss or what? Any info you guys can provide will help me. I have lots to learn. If you guys need more info on my setup please ask, I'm sure I forgot things.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
-Josh

InFlux

Hey all,

So my soon-to-be wife did something crazy yesterday and now I have 5 37x12.5r17 Cooper STT Pro's coming my way from discount tire. As of now my 2016 freedom edition Jk's suspension is completely stock. Obviously that needs to change. The game plan is to get the Metalcloak 3.5 game changer lift. I know I should regear as well and I'm thinking 4.88's (3.21 right now). As much as I love to think I off road, I don't. The trails I do any stock jeep would do just as good so I don't think i need to upgrade to a D44 upfront, but I could be completely wrong. What is everyone's suggestions for what I should or shouldn't do? Upgrade my d30 with C gussets and a truss or what? Any info you guys can provide will help me. I have lots to learn. If you guys need more info on my setup please ask, I'm sure I forgot things.

-Josh

Dear lord you decided to start with 37’s.?!?!? That is a very ambitious way to start things off. That damn tire size adds so many more headaches. You will get nowhere on 3.21’s. My 37’s made the Jeep crap when it had the stock 4.10’s I can’t imagine what it would feel like on 3.21’s. Run don’t walk to a good shop and get those gears done pronto - they will give you an earful about your stock D30. Just staying on the pavement you will be detrimental on a D30. Yes you can re-enforce the inner C’s with gussets and do an outer truss or inner sleeves. But you can probably find a used D44 or spend the money on pro rock 44 because you will be spending it somewhere to accommodate those 37’s. If you stay at 3 inch lift with flat fenders you may be able to save trimming sheet metal. It may also save you from having to replace drive shafts. However you ball joints will wear quickly. Might I suggest buying the dynatrac ball joints when the time comes. Oh if you are putting that big rubber on stock wheels you’ll need wheel spacers at a minimum. With most everything else you can upgrade as it wears out. Good luck!

fouts

I am currently running 4.88 gears and 37" tires and seems to be a pretty good combo on road. Originally had 35" with the stock 3.21 gears and with the automatic transmission I could hardly stand it. Not sure you will like the 37" tires for a lot of on road driving if you don't go off road much. I did add gussets and axle sleeves but I go off road quite a bit, not sure they would be necessary if you don't. Keep in mind the 3.5 inch lift and 37" tires change a lot of the jeeps front and rear geometry, it has taken me awhile to get track bars, tie rod, control arms all set correctly, even a couple of times through the alignment process. Still not great on the road if you compare it to stock. Good luck, it will make the jeep very capable off road if you do and looks great.

Marc

InFlux

I thought of something else - you wanting to go with the metal cloak game changer 3.5. Does that come with the 6pack shocks? I heard they were junk. This was coming from a shop that loves metalcloak just not the 6pack shocks. Damn you spending some real cash on a lift huh? There so many ways you can go with it with adjustable control arms, adjustable track bars and beefier tie rod and drag link. Might I suggest looking at Evo Plush ride coils if you can be dissuaded from metalcloak at all.

WJCO

Meme King
Hey all,

-Josh

OEM axles can still break or bend even with a truss and sleeves. Dont waste money on those. If you were to find a used 44, the housing is the exact same other than the larger cast pumpkin. So the tubes and wheel ends are the same. If you're really considering swapping the axle, it would be best to upgrade to a prorock44 and have it built with the gearing you want. Otherwise if you regear now and then you do a swap later, you will be paying for the gears and labor twice.

fouts

OEM axles can still break or bend even with a truss and sleeves. Dont waste money on those. If you were to find a used 44, the housing is the exact same other than the larger cast pumpkin. So the tubes and wheel ends are the same. If you're really considering swapping the axle, it would be best to upgrade to a prorock44 and have it built with the gearing you want. Otherwise if you regear now and then you do a swap later, you will be paying for the gears and labor twice.

I would have loved to do the prorock when I set up mine but not quite sure how a lot of us can do financially. I paid $2500 for re-gear, lockers, front and rear and gussets, and sleeves front only. I would have spent over $6000. I don't do rocks but I do mountain wheel pretty hard and so far so good. It may be a matter of time but I am happy for now.

Marc

fiend

Caught the Bug
Hey all,

-Josh

Honestly dude, and don’t take this the wrong way, but I would cancel the 37s and go with 35s or 33s. It will be a whole lot less expensive for you when you factor all the mods necessary for 37s.

Last edited:

jdofmemi

What he said☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️

I think you will enjoy it more if it works better, and going to 37's will open a whole can of worms.

Josh2313

First of all, thank you all so much for all the replies and information! I agree with the sentiment that going with 37’s is a bit crazy and probably too much but at the end of the day even after too much time and money spend I think I’ll love having them. So correct me if I’m wrong but at a minimum I should regear asap, reinforce my very much not ideal d30, upgrade my ball joints and be sure to take it very easy. And even then I may have problems down the line.

Also I am in no way convince of my lift choice. That was just my first choice after the research I did. But you all know way more then I do! I am running flat fenders and have aftermarket wheels with 4.5 bs. What lift would you all recommend?? The metalcloak one I was looking at was the Fox shock variant not the 6-pack.

Thanks again everyone. It’s amazing how much you all know.
-Josh

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
First of all, thank you all so much for all the replies and information! I agree with the sentiment that going with 37’s is a bit crazy and probably too much but at the end of the day even after too much time and money spend I think I’ll love having them. So correct me if I’m wrong but at a minimum I should regear asap, reinforce my very much not ideal d30, upgrade my ball joints and be sure to take it very easy. And even then I may have problems down the line.

Also I am in no way convince of my lift choice. That was just my first choice after the research I did. But you all know way more then I do! I am running flat fenders and have aftermarket wheels with 4.5 bs. What lift would you all recommend?? The metalcloak one I was looking at was the Fox shock variant not the 6-pack.

Thanks again everyone. It’s amazing how much you all know.
-Josh

Lots of people like the EVO lift. I have a Synergy kit, which has been great.

37s are heavy. Consider a big brake kit. Dynatrac has one that’s pretty easy to install.

jesse3638

Hooked
As you've said you like to think you go off road bit you don't. The D30 will most likely be fine for your DD needs on pavement. If that's all you do you'll be fine. Once you begin to push it is where you can have problems. As mentioned don't waste the money on sleeves and a truss. If you could swap to a PR44 when you refer that would be the best way to save money in the long run otherwise as mentioned you'll pay for the regear twice. Only worry about ball joints when they wear out. The nice thing about pro-steers is they are rebuildable and you can swap them into a new axle if you need to. Big breaks are nice and help a lot but not necessary. If you play hard after you regear there is a good possibility you'll break it. As for lifts buy a quality lift which will get you where you need to run the tire size you want. No need to buy extra parts you may not need. Last thing you want to do is replace a lift because it isn't what you want or not performing well. Welcome to the jeep world..haha.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Josh2313

Thanks again for the input! So when looking at lifts what are the parts I should 100% include?? All 8 control arms? Track bars? Drag links? What else?? What are the critical parts?

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I’d start with the Evo enforcer lift,new shocks, and c-gussets. Don’t worry about ball joints until they are needed. Get front and rear drive shafts (when needed), dynatrac big brake kit (when needed). Re-gear (when needed), new front axle (when needed), PSC or Redneck Ram - hydro assist ( when needed). Have fun!

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Thanks again for the input! So when looking at lifts what are the parts I should 100% include?? All 8 control arms? Track bars? Drag links? What else?? What are the critical parts?

Probably 3” lift, front lower control arms, draglink flip kit, rear Trackbar bracket. Regear, if you just can’t stand it.

Soon, front and rear driveshaft and rear upper control arms.

Later, big brake kit and hydro assist steering.

After later, Pro Rock 44 front axle.

My setup is as follows being that I started in a very similar place.
2014 JKU sport. 3” lift fox adjustable reservoir shocks. HD track bar and drag link. Rear track bar bracket. 37x13.50x17 STT pro’s on chamber pro 2 beadlocks. Tera44 front axle with 5.13’s ARB and chromoly shafts. Rear 35 spline chromoly shafts with ARB and 5.13’s. Flares trimmed flat with a little bit of body trimming. Front adjustable lower CA’s. I get a great ride and great trail performance. Until im ready for a long arm kit and coilovers, I will keep it the way it is as I’m extremely happy with how it performs.

Josh2313

So from what I understand there's really no need for me to get all 8 control arms? Could anyone provide a link (if allowed) to a lift that would incorporate what everyone is suggesting? feel free to keep posting info about the topic. The more I can learn the better!

Thanks,
-Josh

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
Honestly dude, and don’t take this the wrong way, but I would cancel the 37s and go with 35s or 33s. It will be a whole lot less expensive for you when you factor all the mods necessary for 37s.

Agreed, So much more... Unless you have the money to do it right the first time.

SilverBack775

I’d start with the Evo enforcer lift,new shocks, and c-gussets. Don’t worry about ball joints until they are needed. Get front and rear drive shafts (when needed), dynatrac big brake kit (when needed). Re-gear (when needed), new front axle (when needed), PSC or Redneck Ram - hydro assist ( when needed). Have fun!

Second the Evo lift! Thumbs down on metalcloak!

Top Bottom