Brand new JKU - How long to wait before you start modding?

slystrx

Hi guys,

I just started a thread https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...8-New-Rubicon-JKU)-Requesting-thoughts-advice asking advice on parts I'm planning to have on a brand new 2018 Rubicon JKU (manual trans)
Plan is to make the deal tomorrow. Then call up ORE, set up an appointment - drop it off for a week or two and then get back to a decently built rig to start my adventures.

So my question is this. You usually hear that you'll have to baby a brand new vehicle (of any kind) before you start ruffing with it. Does that apply to Rubicon(s) too? Would you recommend me putting some miles (if so how much) before I pull up on ORE lot? Considering I'm in SF, i'll have at least about 400 miles to ORE :D

Since this will be my first ever Wrangler, I just wanted to make myself aware of anything I would have missed or don't know of. Who better than you guys to help me with that.
Any do's or don't(s) about a brand new Rubicon, before going crazy on the build would be appreciated.

Please and thank you.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Hi guys,

I just started a thread https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...8-New-Rubicon-JKU)-Requesting-thoughts-advice asking advice on parts I'm planning to have on a brand new 2018 Rubicon JKU (manual trans)
Plan is to make the deal tomorrow. Then call up ORE, set up an appointment - drop it off for a week or two and then get back to a decently built rig to start my adventures.

So my question is this. You usually hear that you'll have to baby a brand new vehicle (of any kind) before you start ruffing with it. Does that apply to Rubicon(s) too? Would you recommend me putting some miles (if so how much) before I pull up on ORE lot? Considering I'm in SF, i'll have at least about 400 miles to ORE :D

Since this will be my first ever Wrangler, I just wanted to make myself aware of anything I would have missed or don't know of. Who better than you guys to help me with that.
Any do's or don't(s) about a brand new Rubicon, before going crazy on the build would be appreciated.

Please and thank you.

Of the dealer and into a decent Web Vendor like Exodus Jeeps, that's how long you should wait :D

All kidding aside try to do at least one wheeling trip with your jeep as is so you get a feel for it and then go as mod crazy as you want.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Hi guys,

Please and thank you.

FACTORY gears are pre ran, so pretty much the only thing your worried about is the piston rings and bearings in the engine. But this isn't a forced induction motor... so :idontknow: Wait until the temps are up to std operation before any heavy throttle driving/4low or whatever for the first 500 miles?

I wheeled my JKU for the first time with 300 miles on the O.D.

When you regear, you WILL need to break in THOSE gears properly... and that sucks... because you finally get the pep back but cant enjoy it yet... :beer:

Last edited:

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
FACTORY gears are pre ran, so pretty much the only thing your worried about is the piston rings and bearings in the engine. But this isn't a forced induction motor... so :idontknow: Wait until the temps are up to std operation before any heavy throttle driving/4low or whatever for the first 500 miles?

I wheeled my JKU for the first time with 300 miles on the O.D.

When you regear, you WILL need to break in THOSE gears properly... and that sucks... because you finally get the pep back but cant enjoy it yet... :beer:

Yep. And it’s a long drive back to SF when you’re breaking in new gears.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Honor2afault

Caught the Bug
Why wait?

Show up with 2 - 2" round mirrors to put on one side of your driver & passenger vents, for when you're doorless. And a Wayalife sticker (cowl, windshield, side ect..)
Take possession of the jeep and own it all at the same time.

jesse3638

Hooked
You mentioned this is your first Wrangler. I'd drive it, and wheel it stock so you can see what it's capable of. Figure out what you want to do with it and what's needed to do so. They are very capable right out of the box. Sure a modded jeep is nice but could be more than you need or could handle. That being said I installed my lift with 1500 miles on the odo.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Benito

Caught the Bug
Hi guys,

Please and thank you.

However long it takes you to get it off of the dealer lot! The night I got my new one home I started swapping parts from my old Jeep, in three days and less than 90 miles on the odometer I had it on 37s

IMG_4174.jpg

BdugJK

I agree with the wheeling it first, see what it can do. I was bone stock when I got stuck the first time. A lift, wheels/tires, and a winch/recovery gear soon followed.

Buneewunee

My installer advised me to put some miles on it (at least 3000 miles) before installing the lift. That way everything gets broken in.

And also, (in my opinion) if there are any warranty issues, the dealership can't deny any warranty claims due to the after market lift. I have found that with most new vehicles I have had in the past, I have had to take it in for some type of warranty repair early on in the ownership of it.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
I really believe it comes down to your tolerance for pain, I.E. dragging your brand new Jeep down the trails hitting practically every rock that the guys in front of you can clear with no issues. The only downfall to the rubicon is ground clearance. Yes it can work it’s way thru practically any trail, but as Eddies latest video ( Triple Threat) shows, the stock JL was on its belly on almost every obstacle. Jet with a budget lift had a lot less difficulty and rubbing. Some owners are ok with that. I’d put an inexpensive 2-3” lift and 35s on stock wheels and run it for a year to see where I’d want to take it. Minimal expense overall and it’s a better platform to learn on.

If money is no object and you don’t mind replacing upgrades, then dive right in. Other than the smittybuilt fenders, it’s s good build spec from your other post. Most of it can grow with your jeep as your experience level increases and you won’t need to replace them. Lifts, tires and wheels you will change as you get more experienced and invest more into your jeep building it bigger, but take that part slow. As others have said, you can get yourself in trouble with a larger built jeep.

Most of all enjoy the build, do what you can yourself and get to know your jeep front to back. When you play hard, things will break and you are the first and sometimes the last point of help you may have to get it fixed and up and running again to get out.

Welcome to the brotherhood of jeeps!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jagerhelix

Wheeling it before modding helps prioritize wants vs needs. Jeeps are suprisingly capable in stock form and you can learn a lot by conquering trails and learning to use it to its full potential before doing heavy mods. I got exited and built mine pretty quickly, I would do things a bit different next time.

Sent from my E6820TM using Tapatalk

Top Bottom