2017 JK Manual pops out of reverse

ZachJKUR

So this has been happening since it was nearly brand new and I originally attributed the issue to me needing to get used to this specific transmission and shifter. However, 5000 miles later, it still seems to pop out. Has anyone had similar issues or know anything about it? I make sure that the shifter has traveled as far as it will go through the reverse gate and downward but it still seems like it does't fully engage. It then proceeds to grind the synchro and pop out of gear. The solution up until this point has been to push the clutch in, shift in to another gear, and without letting the clutch out, shifting back in to reverse. I would estimate that it pops out 1 in every 3 times I go to back the Jeep up.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Mine wouldn’t go in reverse completely every time for a while. It would feel like it’s in and the camera comes on but as I release the clutch it grinds the gear. I’ve heard somewhere a long time ago that it was a common synchro issue. I just made it a habit to shift into 3rd before going in reverse every time. I do it without even thinking about it now.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

nospoon4u

I bought two 2017 JKU’s. A Recon for me and a Chief for my wife, both manuals.
Both of them had this exact same issue. My dealer replaced the entire transmission at 5k mile on my Recon. Last month, the dealer installed a new (updated from original OEM part) Shift Tower on my wife’s Chief. They both are shifting as expected now.

Sure seems to be a widespread issue here. I’m surprised there is no TSB for it yet.

I complained to FCA and got some compensation for the troubles.

Last edited:

jesse3638

Hooked
Being within warranty I'd pay a visit to the dealer. Mine is a 2012 and I've never had this issue. It's popped out of gear once and I attribute it to the rough road and my foot bouncing on the throttle and rpms happened to match up.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
shift into 3rd before going in reverse every time.
Yup! :yup:

Being within warranty I'd pay a visit to the dealer. Mine is a 2012 and I've never had this issue.
Agreed, While it COULD be a syncro issue; it could also be as simple as the a habit from the driver. The gear box in the jeep is (IMO) about as tight as a Cholo's jeans, and as refined as that "Bhad Babie" Rapper child and her "dope as Fffff" friends or whatever who have been all over social media these days :grayno:

Try shifting into reverse while still at a SLIGHT roll. that or, rake it from 3rd to rev...

The reverse gear is a straight cut gear, and because of all the slop, it can be a bit clunky

Last edited:

desertrunner

My dads 08 used to do it too but in 1st not reverse... really awkward at a stop light and it pops out of first. Dealership looked at it a few times never ended up fixing it and eventually it stopped doing it. Maybe over time what ever was kicking it out wore down. My old 08 and my current 12 have never done it but both were bought used with about 40k miles so cant speak to them brand new.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Zstairlessone

My dads 08 used to do it too but in 1st not reverse... really awkward at a stop light and it pops out of first. Dealership looked at it a few times never ended up fixing it and eventually it stopped doing it. Maybe over time what ever was kicking it out wore down. My old 08 and my current 12 have never done it but both were bought used with about 40k miles so cant speak to them brand new.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

The dealer fixed my 08 under a TSB and warranty when it was popping out of first. It would do it pretty violently in first coming off a stop.

erik932

My 2017 sport use too do the same thing when I bought it new. I took it to the dealership and they told me I didn’t know how to drive stick —____— when I reverse now I just don’t let go of the shifter and eventually it just stopped happening. Still does slip out every now and then though.

ZachJKUR

Long term update

Sorry to revive the old thread but I thought I'd let you all know that there was an issue with a batch of shift towers. After taking it to the dealer last summer, they replaced some of the shift linkage as well as a synchro. Fixed the issue for a couple months but it started happening again. This time around they replaced the transmission and shift tower. I'm not sure the transmission needed to replaced but it was probably more efficient on their end than replacing worn synchros.

JKbrick

My 2017 sport use too do the same thing when I bought it new. I took it to the dealership and they told me I didn’t know how to drive stick —____— when I reverse now I just don’t let go of the shifter and eventually it just stopped happening. Still does slip out every now and then though.

I hate that [emoji15]

Top Bottom