Hemi question

xflstl

My Jeep is going into Burnsville to get a Hemi upgrade here in the next couple of days. My question is which engine to go with? 5.7 /6.1 /6.4 /6.7 /7.0 Any of them are a huge upgrade from the 3.8. If I go with the 6.7 or 7.0 I have to put off doing some other upgrades for a few months, like half doors / poison spyder bolt in cage /Atlas 4spd. If I drop down to the 6.4 I can do all but the Atlas, if I go down to the 5.7 I can do it all. I am sure i wont be disapointed with any of the Hemi's, however I also know how I am, and I dont want that I should have gone with the 7.0 feeling!!!

Opinions?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Any of them are going to have plenty of power. I'd be more concerned about making sure they can keep whatever you get cool enough that you can drive more than 100 miles without overheating, or without having to find a gas station.

I probably wouldn't go over a 6.1 VVT because I personally think it is not necessary. I'd use the extra money for other stuff, like a bombproof huge radiator, extended range gas tank, pro rock 80, bombproof tranny, etc. ;)

MTG

Caught the Bug
I met a guy (I am sworn to secrecy so I am going to be vague) who has a 6.4 Hemi. His opinion is its too much for the JKs. He think the new 3.6 is perfect. That said, I think you'd be fine with the 5.7. However, if you feel the need to compare your size to others...go with the big one and wait to do your other mods. And like Sharkey said, figure out a way to drive more than across town. 

Last edited:

Rock-itman

Im going w/ the 6.4 VVT myself , but after talking to Burnsville and AEV , i decided AEV myself . Look into the total package , Bor for some reason makes major mods to the firewall and as of now only has the air off to the drivers side using a stock srt box ! Aev is producing a stock looking pass side model so all other things stay the same . Goodluck w/ the upgrade either way let us know how you make out . Bor gets 500 Hp & 500 ft lbs also out of the 392/ 6.4 VVT quite the power !!!!!!!:eek:

daveroberts

I have looked into this a fair amount and with out question I would run the 6.4 AEV set up. Basically because it is plug and play. They have the cleanest wire loom on the market and all of your Jeep features work. I have looked at both installs in detail too, with the AEV everything under the hood looks like it was done at the factory. Keep in mind the installs I have seen to compare to the Burnsville have been done by Trail Jeeps in Boulder Co. I believe they did about 20 Hemi's last year! Super clean install without relocating the air intake, the coolant tank the washer fluid tank and so on. The AEV kit has a short intake runner so it you use all the factory locations. Might be too late but I would strongly recommend calling Trail Jeeps if for no other reason just talk to them about the differences in the installs.

Just my opinion!:thumb:

1BAMFR

Didn't even know they had 7.0's! Lol

They have the 5.7 and 6.1.....they stroke them out to 6.4, 6.8, 7.0, 7.2

Now they have the 6.4 from the factory (newer SRT models)

The 7.2 is a 440 and is a torque monster!

In a JK.....i would be concerned with driveshaft and axle breakage. Tromping it from a red light on 40" tires with 450+ horses, something will break.

tbreaux

Have there been issues with the burnsville conversion??

If you opt for the 6.4 from BOR without the AEV kit, be sure to get in writing that all Jeep functions will operare properly after the conversion. Contact TrailJeeps if you want to dig into specifics.

xflstl

Thanks for the advise / opinions. (Honestly I was looking for more specific engine choice related info) I am going with Burnsville, not going against advise but I have researched both AEV and Burnsville to a decent extent. I can honestly tell little difference between the two. There are minor install differences, I have talked to people with each, and heard little complaint either way. There are two factors that are making me choose Burnsville, 1. They are only 250 miles from where I live / 95 miles from where I work. Making drop off / pick up more simple, or taking it back if there are any issues. and 2. They offer a belt driven fan with any Hemi engine. Something I found no other installation place would offer. And pushing around 42's on a rig the weight's roughly 6k overheating is my main concern.

So with that being said I am going with the 6.4L Burnsville install with a actual belt driven fan!!! It goes in tomorrow morning.:brows:

I will certainly follow the advise of getting the no dash codes / everything working proper thing in writing. Thanks again!!!!

daveroberts

Here are a couple of interesting reads for you. I've seen multiple posts like this on a variety of forums. I guess just make sure you get everything that are promising. Good luck man! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1362451039.642258.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1362451052.216068.jpg

xflstl

Well dropped it off today, but now you all got me nervous, after a few of those posts!!! Fingers crossed.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Well dropped it off today, but now you all got me nervous, after a few of those posts!!! Fingers crossed.

All the best with the conversion. I think lots of us are leaning forward in our seats now that you're committed and want to see how it works out. It'll be a fire breather for sure!:yup:

Top Bottom