Braking issue

Jellymon

The other day I replaced my left rear caliper, bled all 4 brakes twice now with no bubbles, and never let the master cylinder run dry. I also have no leaks anywhere I'm able to physically see.

So my issue is that while stopped with engine running I'm able to press the pedal to the floor with a little effort. Braking starts immediately after pressing the pedal, and feels normal with enough power to activate the ABS. It doesn't go near the floor while normally driving/braking, it just feels soft when I'm stopped. When the jeep is off the pedal is very firm and only goes down a couple inches.

With some research I'm seeing that the most common cause for this is a bad master cylinder, or air in the lines. I've ruled out air in the lines with 2 bleeds with zero air, so I'm just wondering if what I'm seeing is normal for a JK before I go out and replace the master cylinder. I appreciate anyone's :twocents:. Thanks.

Jsouder53

Hooked
The other day I replaced my left rear caliper, bled all 4 brakes twice now with no bubbles, and never let the master cylinder run dry. I also have no leaks anywhere I'm able to physically see.

So my issue is that while stopped with engine running I'm able to press the pedal to the floor with a little effort. Braking starts immediately after pressing the pedal, and feels normal with enough power to activate the ABS. It doesn't go near the floor while normally driving/braking, it just feels soft when I'm stopped. When the jeep is off the pedal is very firm and only goes down a couple inches.

With some research I'm seeing that the most common cause for this is a bad master cylinder, or air in the lines. I've ruled out air in the lines with 2 bleeds with zero air, so I'm just wondering if what I'm seeing is normal for a JK before I go out and replace the master cylinder. I appreciate anyone's :twocents:. Thanks.

Sounds like the master cylinder to me, I had a bad master cylinder with my old Ford Explorer and it felt the same way. Changed it out after I tried breaking for a red light and the pedal fell to the floor... luckily no one was in front of me [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Sounds like a master to me as well. At any point during the brake repair did you push fluid back up through the system? If fluid is dirty enough and pushed back through the system, I have seen master cylinders and abs units damaged. Doesn't mean it happens every time, but I've seen it happen.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Sounds like a master to me as well. At any point during the brake repair did you push fluid back up through the system? If fluid is dirty enough and pushed back through the system, I have seen master cylinders and abs units damaged. Doesn't mean it happens every time, but I've seen it happen.

Just curious, how would fluid get pushed back up through the system? I’ve never heard of this before, I want to make sure I don’t accidentally do this...

DogHouse

You said it takes a little effort to to push the pedal to the floor. I would say that sounds normal, you probably just never paid attention to it before the repair. I can push my brake pedal to the floor using about 30% of my leg strength while sitting at a light (same thing in my wife’s Liberty). I should also add this is after two caliper swaps and a pad change. I’ve never had any issues in the two years since these repairs.

Last edited:

UtahJK

You said it takes a little effort to to push the pedal to the floor. I would say that sounds normal, you probably just never paid attention to it before the repair. I can push my brake pedal to the floor using about 30% of my leg strength while sitting at a light (same thing in my wife’s Liberty). I should also add this is after two caliper swaps and a pad change. I’ve never had any issues in the two years since these repairs.

That is definitely not normal.

WJCO

Meme King
Just curious, how would fluid get pushed back up through the system? I’ve never heard of this before, I want to make sure I don’t accidentally do this...

When you collapse the caliper to install new pads. If you don't open the bleeder, the fluid goes back through the master cylinder. If you open the bleeder, the fluid comes out right near the caliper without causing any disturbance to the rest of the system.

Jsouder53

Hooked
When you collapse the caliper to install new pads. If you don't open the bleeder, the fluid goes back through the master cylinder. If you open the bleeder, the fluid comes out right near the caliper without causing any disturbance to the rest of the system.

Got it [emoji106] thank you for the info

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug

That's a great tip, I haven't done it this way in the past but I'll start now. Thanks a lot WJCO

Jellymon

While troubleshooting my old caliper I did press the sticking piston back in so I could get the 2 miles to the store for a new one. Thanks guys. looks like I might have to replace it.

Top Bottom