Wheel size

hunterbilt

I've been looking at the Walker Evans Braddocks, but I don't know which size to get. I'm going to get 37s tires, but I plan on going to 40s in the future. I just don't want to buy wheels twice...

hunterbilt

Yes, I guess I should have clarified. How much back spacing would I need. Also, is 20" too much for 37s? Most people I see with 37s have 17"

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If you plan to run 40's in the future I would go with 20's as you might want that for the 40's. And I'm pretty sure they only come in 3.5" backspacing.

GCM 2

If you are going with Walker Evans or any custom built wheel, it comes down to preference in wheel diameter. Which do you like? Other than that you can customize the offset/backspacing when you order them. However, when you are running 40"s or bigger you will probably want no more than 3.5" of backspacing. Any deeper offset/backspacing and you will greatly increase the likely hood of rubbing on frame rails, coils or coilovers.

One thing to consider is there are many more tire choices in 17" rims sizes than the 20" rim size.....but that has been changing somewhat quickly. Just like 10+ years ago, guys had to choose between 15" and 16" rims for wheeling and the 17"s were looked at as being a big crazy street wheel with little tire choices for offroading. Now 17"s are the standard.

hunterbilt

Thanks guys! That helps out a lot. I think I'll just go with the 20s. At 4-500 bucks each wheel I'm only going to want to buy 'em once. I just think that 17" will look odd on 40s

I would say that 37"s on 20"s are going to look much more odd than 40"s on 17"s - that is of course one even thinks that 40"s on 17"s even looks odd. I personally like the look of more rubber than wheel, but hey, its just me...

GCM 2

Thanks guys! That helps out a lot. I think I'll just go with the 20s. At 4-500 bucks each wheel I'm only going to want to buy 'em once. I just think that 17" will look odd on 40s

Haha! Well that's a first, I have never heard of or met anyone that thought a 17"x40" set up looks odd :thinking:

Here's a few photos of my 17"x40" oddness :cheesy:

Attachments

• image-2505429150.jpg
    image-2505429150.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 55
  • image-2703566689.jpg
    image-2703566689.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 55
  • image-2254169091.jpg
    image-2254169091.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 61

TrailReady

Caught the Bug
Haha! Well that's a first, I have never heard of or met anyone that thought a 17"x40" set up looks odd :thinking:

Here's a few photos of my 17"x40" oddness :cheesy:

Can't imagine ANYONE would think this badass rig looks odd?!

hunterbilt

Don't get me wrong I think your set up looks great, but in a few months I don't want to wish I had bought 20s. I may still end up with 17s I'm having a hard time choosing.

GCM 2

Don't get me wrong I think your set up looks great, but in a few months I don't want to wish I had bought 20s. I may still end up with 17s I'm having a hard time choosing.

Just having fun :thumb: I think the only way to pull off running 20" wheels on an offroad rig is if you are running at least a 40" tire. Anything smaller and you are starting to get into the street ride, low profile look.

Top Bottom