Jku propane conversion.

gauchohouston

I have.m jku 3.6 looking to get a conversion by not too familiar with it. Need some help making this decision. Opinions??

2012 jku Sahara
4” lift
37” tires
4.88 gears
Daily
Auto

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Wethy

View attachment 302546

Didnt even know that was a thing. What are the benefits?
It can be run in an engine at any angle evem upside down supposedly as it enters the engine as a vapour instead of a liquid but if done right it would burn more efficiently and would be better for the environment as it produces less emissions. But thats about all i know about it. I dont know what houstons regulations are for modding to propane. Might be something the OP should look into if he/she hasnt already

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked
It can be run in an engine at any angle evem upside down supposedly as it enters the engine as a vapour instead of a liquid but if done right it would burn more efficiently and would be better for the environment as it produces less emissions. But thats about all i know about it. I dont know what houstons regulations are for modding to propane. Might be something the OP should look into if he/she hasnt already

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I was just wheeling upside down this weekend and wished I had propane.... seriously though... aren't propane fill stations kind of scarce when you're out on the trail?

zimm

Caught the Bug
The EFI in the jeep will work at crazy angles too. I'd be more worried about loosing oil pressure than fuel pressure if you're driving upside down.

I've seen one rock crawler truck on propane. I know fork lifts run propane because it's doesn't stink up the warehouse like a diesel would. I took one look at "daily" driver in your list, and I would scratch propane off the list. It makes me shutter to think of how inconvenient it is to get someone to fill up my BBQ cylinder 1-2 times a year vs every week for a jeep.

I would do a lot more research.

Here's a shot of the truggy with propane. You'd have to find a place for the huge tanks too.

View attachment 302561

Last edited:

gauchohouston

The EFI in the jeep will work at crazy angles too. I'd be more worried about loosing oil pressure than fuel pressure if you're driving upside down.

I've seen one rock crawler truck on propane. I know fork lifts run propane because it's doesn't stick up the warehouse like a diesel would. I took one look at "daily" driver in your list, and I would scratch propane off the list. It makes me shutter to think of how inconvenient it is to get someone to fill up my BBQ cylinder 1-2 times a year vs every week for a jeep.

I would do a lot more research.

Thank you this is the kind of feed back in looking for.

BobNH

It has less power per gallon than gasoline-1 gal propane has 73% the power of 1 gal gasoline. I do not know how that translates when it turns to a vapor, but I do know from driving converted propane powered trucks they feel a lot more sluggish. Haven't driven one since 1989 though, so perhaps things have improved with the conversion systems.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Zstairlessone

Propane is great to add to a diesel, pretty wild power, but the cost to convert a gas powered vehicle to propane would never get you back the cost in savings and you need to burn more propane per hour to get the same power out of the engine.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Over here it is very common due to the low cost of LPG. It’s also available at every gas station.

If you’re serious look into liquid phase injection systems rather than an old fashioned vapour unit. They make better power than gas especially in turbo or supercharged applications and the efficiency is much better.

jeeeep

Hooked
haven't looked into propane conversion in awhile but I had also considered a conversion.

there are companies that have kits to switch from gas to propane but none seemed fully reliable.

What I found at the time, it would be $$$$$ to do a conversion and fitting a fuel tank out of harms way was not possible.

Well, possible but no way I would want a pair tank in the cargo area of my JKU. The other option was to remove the gas option completely and but a tank in it's place at the cost of ground clearance.

back in the 80's, I worked for an outfit that ran all their vans on propane. The tanks were big and heavy . Also had to have the suspension modified and they required a large tank to make up for the loss in MPG's.

On the plus side, if we ran out of fuel we could grab the BBQ propane tank, stick the hose in the carb and off we go lol.

Top Bottom