Shock length

Eroc147

I’m going from a 2.5inch lift to 3.5. So I need new shocks. I have Fox shocks now and they are pretty stiff. The lift comes with Bilstein 5100 shocks, but I was thinking of selling those and getting the Rancho RS9000s. So I guess it’s a which shock question too. But what length should I get? I’ve heard of people getting longer shocks for more flex.... thanks for any opinions.

I have a JKUR and it’s a RK 3.5 X factor if that has any bearing.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I’m going from a 2.5inch lift to 3.5. So I need new shocks. I have Fox shocks now and they are pretty stiff. The lift comes with Bilstein 5100 shocks, but I was thinking of selling those and getting the Rancho RS9000s. So I guess it’s a which shock question too. But what length should I get? I’ve heard of people getting longer shocks for more flex.... thanks for any opinions.

I have a JKUR and it’s a RK 3.5 X factor if that has any bearing.

I would look at how much bump stop you are planning to run, and how long of a shock body you can fit at full bump without bottoming out the shock. In my eyes, I'ed rather have the most articulation I can get for my money. :twocents:

as far as WHICH shock, the question becomes WHICH spring are you using? what's the spring weight of said spring, and how much does the jeep weigh?

The 9000s are adjustable, so you could click through until you find the "best feeling" setting... but they cost more, and the knobs are on the bottom of the rear shocks... :icon_crazy:

The 5100 is also a known good shock when paired with the right springs... that being said, considering they are included with your kit... it sounds like that MAY be the case here... in fact, I'm still running the 5100s on my jeep, be it with Evo's Plush Ride Springs :thumb: I know flat-top WAS running 5100s w/ RK springs for a LONG time before he went to coilovers...

Last edited:

Eroc147

I would look at how much bump stop you are planning to run, and how long of a shock body you can fit at full bump without bottoming out the shock. In my eyes, I'ed rather have the most articulation I can get for my money. :twocents:

as far as WHICH shock, the question becomes WHICH spring are you using? what's the spring weight of said spring, and how much does the jeep weigh?

The 9000s are adjustable, so you could click through until you find the "best feeling" setting... but they cost more, and the knobs are on the bottom of the rear shocks... :icon_crazy:

The 5100 is also a known good shock when paired with the right springs... that being said, considering they are included with your kit... it sounds like that MAY be the case here... in fact, I'm still running the 5100s on my jeep, be it with Evo's Plush Ride Springs :thumb: I know flat-top WAS running 5100s w/ RK springs for a LONG time before he went to coilovers...

Can you rotate so the knob is on the inside? I have the weld on skids so I don’t know if they would work at all now that I think about it. But as much as everyone here swears by them I would think they would. I plan to probably run 3 inch bumps in the rear and going to try with a 1 inch in the front. At 2.5 I don’t hit anything with 2inch in the rear and no extended bump in front.

Rancho

Caught the Bug
You can spin them for sure, since the axle/shock mount is still "stock" located, the skids are on the lower part and shouldn't interfere with the "spin".
I would run our longer shocks with this system.
RS999331
RS999332
Save a little too. If you buy online, save the UPC codes, those are needed. :beer:
http://www.gorancho.com/promotions/

Can you rotate so the knob is on the inside? I have the weld on skids so I don’t know if they would work at all now that I think about it. But as much as everyone here swears by them I would think they would. I plan to probably run 3 inch bumps in the rear and going to try with a 1 inch in the front. At 2.5 I don’t hit anything with 2inch in the rear and no extended bump in front.

Top Bottom