Helicopters and Drones

ZachJKUR

So anyone else hear about the chopper doing media coverage of the Baja 500? Apparently someone with a drone wasn't paying attention and flew in to the side of the tail rotor and almost knocked it out of the sky.

I'm curious to know what some of y'all's opinions of drones are. I love some of the awesome camera shots but after seeing an increasing number of drone-related incidents, I am definitely in favor of some more intense licensing and FAA regulation.

I think these morons who fly drones around helicopters need to be held more accountable and definitely out of the way of the fire rescue choppers over forest fires.

Exodus 4x4

It’s a big thing at KOH. Technically drones aren’t allowed there for that reason but people continue to do it anyways. Something like this will happen one day and BLM will probably shut it down.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jsouder53

Hooked
I have a drone, I typically like flying it in the middle of nowhere away from everyone and everything. I hate flying it out too far since you’ll lose depth perception and I hate flying it near anything (I’ve already nailed a few trees with it). It’s fun! But I know there are many fools that have them that could ruin the fun for everyone.

desertrunner

I am a helicopter pilot by trade and drones are always a hot topic. Sounds dumb to think a little RC thing can take down a helo but safety briefing after safety briefing with pictures it's really no joke. There are also a ton of FAA laws and procedures to fly them in airspace and to file NOTAMS but I'm sure you can guess the percentage of people that actually know that. I don't fly in crazy populated areas so it's not as much of a concern but they are a legitimate hazard to helicopters especially when they are following the same target like KOH. For any drone operators on here all I ask is please know the rules and regulations for flying them in the airspace you are in and I'd be happy to share the skys with ya. But not knowing is not an excuse for putting others lives in danger

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bear_JT

Hooked
I saw this on a wildfire info page. It really puts in perspective how much a drone can affect so many things from aircraft to a serious mission and even the helo at the Baja 500.
There definitely needs to be some more levels of control over drone operators that cause risk to others. IMG_9433.jpg

Gadget

Caught the Bug
I was sitting on top of a hospital in Wichita waiting for my crew after dropping off a patient and one flys by stops for a moment then continues on. Called the tower at Mid Continent in Wichita to let him know. He had know idea there was one operating around his airspace. I know they’re small but if an airliner sucks one thru an engine that could get ugly. You have the people that do it right and the morons that mess it up for everyone else, just like off roading.

ZachJKUR

I am a helicopter pilot by trade and drones are always a hot topic. Sounds dumb to think a little RC thing can take down a helo but safety briefing after safety briefing with pictures it's really no joke. There are also a ton of FAA laws and procedures to fly them in airspace and to file NOTAMS but I'm sure you can guess the percentage of people that actually know that. I don't fly in crazy populated areas so it's not as much of a concern but they are a legitimate hazard to helicopters especially when they are following the same target like KOH. For any drone operators on here all I ask is please know the rules and regulations for flying them in the airspace you are in and I'd be happy to share the skys with ya. But not knowing is not an excuse for putting others lives in danger

I was sitting on top of a hospital in Wichita waiting for my crew after dropping off a patient and one flys by stops for a moment then continues on. Called the tower at Mid Continent in Wichita to let him know. He had know idea there was one operating around his airspace. I know they’re small but if an airliner sucks one thru an engine that could get ugly. You have the people that do it right and the morons that mess it up for everyone else, just like off roading.

So given that a drone operator knows rules and regulations and what the hell he/she is doing, how would you approach a situation where y'all are sharing airspace? In particular, what would the protocol of sorts be when following a target at say KOH or the Baja 500? Sounds like y'all are both pilots and particularly knowledgeable in this area

desertrunner

So given that a drone operator knows rules and regulations and what the hell he/she is doing, how would you approach a situation where y'all are sharing airspace? In particular, what would the protocol of sorts be when following a target at say KOH or the Baja 500? Sounds like y'all are both pilots and particularly knowledgeable in this area
I cant speak to how exactly it works at KOH but near our airport here there are sectors of numbered airspace that have correlated altitudes and when drones are operating in those areas there should be a notam filed for the numbered area so we know to either avoid or be on the look out for it. I have also been notified by ATC over the radio of drones operating in a specific area so in that case I don't know if the drone operators contacted the controlling agency or what the deal was on that one. Now in class G airspace there really isn't anything you can do its uncontrolled and it's just like avoiding a bird. I have no idea if KOH has a TFR (temp flight restriction) over it for the event for the chase helos if that is the case all aircraft need special permission to be operating in the TFR airspace. But again I don't know what the airspace looks like over there for the event and if it is totally uncontrolled then shit happens, we constantly avoid birds in the area we fly in and a drone would be no different in uncontrolled airspace

Chris1015

You should be shot for flying one of those things near an airplane or helicopter just like if you shine a laser pointer into the cockpit at night. My .02

TonyT

Caught the Bug
I have a couple Mavic Pro's myself. I really don't think the FAA's regulations are too difficult to follow, so when I hear people in situations that are unsafe, legal or not, it irritates me. Myself, I prefer to be away from the city.

Now, on that same point... if you look at all the Baja 500 coverage from this year and last, you can see lots of video obviously taken by drones, and you can clearly see other drones in the area doing the same. Theres no order what-so-ever. So, when a helicopter is whipping down a segment of road at 100ft AGL doing 80KTS sideways while following a racer, I think that helicopter needs to take on some of the responsibility as well. Things have changed. Technology has brought inexpensive HD-capable drones to the masses.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
The pilot should be paying attention to his flying and not the racer, that is the cameraman’s job. The pilots responsibility is to see and avoid, drones are small and harder to see so IMO the drone operator bears the responsibility to stay out of their way. Flying a helicopter fast and low means that pilot is busy and spotting a tiny drone is really hard. They shouldn’t have to be that close to other aircraft with the quality of drone cameras now. Rant over.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
I think drones may make great skeet practice...

That’s all I think about when I hear those annoying things buzzing around.

We were out doing a training hoselay a couple years ago and some drone group came out to fly. They saw us and figured it'd be a great filming opportunity. The most annoying thing ever. They were just out of reach of the water stream otherwise they'd have been downed by deluge.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
We were out doing a training hoselay a couple years ago and some drone group came out to fly. They saw us and figured it'd be a great filming opportunity. The most annoying thing ever. They were just out of reach of the water stream otherwise they'd have been downed by deluge.

Now that would’ve been fun.

Top Bottom