Sway bar bolt weld broke inside of frame

Pilgrim55

I weld on the bolt inside the the frame broke lose on the bushing that hold the sway bar to the frame. The only thing that I can think of to repair it is cut a hole in the frame and weld a new nut to the frame and then weld the frame back up. I believe It is a M14 nut I have seen rivets up to M12 which I don’t have a rivets gun.
Is there any ideas any help would be appreciated

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
I weld on the bolt inside the the frame broke lose on the bushing that hold the sway bar to the frame. The only thing that I can think of to repair it is cut a hole in the frame and weld a new nut to the frame and then weld the frame back up. I believe It is a M14 nut I have seen rivets up to M12 which I don’t have a rivets gun.
Is there any ideas any help would be appreciated

do you have a pic?

fiend

Caught the Bug
Can you take your bumper off and stick a long box wrench (with a nut) into the frame from the front?

WJCO

Meme King
Here is some pictures

If there's any way you can access inside of the frame there, you can build a steel plate ahead of time maybe with nuts welded to the steel plate, then slip it inside of the frame. Something like this:

Untitled.jpg

Or if you can get ahold of a flag nut that's the same thread, that may work too. Provided you can get into the frame in that location.

Slimebones

Fyi

Since you are admittedly a "rookie" at this sort of thing, just be advised that damage of this sort is sometimes the result of incorrect use of an impact gun. Disassembly is ok with impact but hand tools is advised to put things back together to prevent overtightening or crossthreading. Just passing on some things I have learned the hard way over the years....Seems relevant here.

Last edited:

sipafz

Caught the Bug
View attachment 305046
Here what I did to fix it

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Unfortunately, that’s probably only a short term fix. It will eventually work its way loose if you just pounded it in. Or did you manage to get the insert inside the frame and pull it into place?

Maybe... I ran wiring and air hose through my whole frame and I could've sworn I came out the front. I could've brought it out sooner, though. [emoji848]

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Lol I can’t remember exactly either. I have a quarter pounder bumper but nopics of when it was installed to look at

The front of the frame horns are covered with the tow point mounting plates which have a couple of holes. I used a Sawsall and made the holes into slots for mounting my winch.

IMG_7595.JPG

Last edited:

Pilgrim55

I put it in and with a simple tool I turned it and it mushroomed out inside the frame but with that said I still think it a short term fix but I got my finder crossed

Top Bottom