Don’t be like me!

jamo922

I was attempting to remove the doors on a 2010 Jeep I recently purchased. Three of them came off easily the fourth one I could not budget. So my bright idea was to use the Jack place it underneath the door and slowly jack it up until the hinge pins started to move. Only that didn’t happen. After a few pumps, the door sprung out of the hinge like a rocket and landed on the ground causing a dent in the lower part of the door. It also created about a 4 inch crack in the paint. I haven’t tried to get the dent out yet but I’m wondering what the best way to do it is and fix the paint Without going to a professional shop. Any ideas are appreciated IMG_4855.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
I was attempting to remove the doors on a 2010 Jeep I recently purchased. Three of them came off easily the fourth one I could not budget. So my bright idea was to use the Jack place it underneath the door and slowly jack it up until the hinge pins started to move. Only that didn’t happen. After a few pumps, the door sprung out of the hinge like a rocket and landed on the ground causing a dent in the lower part of the door. It also created about a 4 inch crack in the paint. I haven’t tried to get the dent out yet but I’m wondering what the best way to do it is and fix the paint Without going to a professional shop. Any ideas are appreciated View attachment 303214

If that is a seam where the door skin attaches to the door you may be able to put several layers of masking tape in the door and use a large crescent wrench to carefully bend it back straight. As for paint you may be able to get some touch up paint but it will be noticeable. If you have the ability you can always look for color matching paint and repaint the whole door.

I was removing my doors a couple years ago. It was late and I'd had several beers. I lost grip, dropped one and assisted it to the ground narrowly missing my toes in flip flops. I have a similar mark on the bottom edge of my driver's side rear door.

JMFK

Try this website for color matched Jeep paint. I think they come in complete rattle can kits.

paintscratch.com

You can look up by model year. I haven’t used it before but looked into it for color matching my tire carrier. Went powder coat instead.

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
YIKES! There are better ways to remove stuck doors. Do you have any experience with body work? Body hammer and blocks, if you can behind that area. Paint work? Going to have to sand and smooth out the "break line" and could blend it back in.

Heat gun the paint on the area and keep it warm to stop it from chipping/cracking any more, attempt to straighten with either hammer and blocks or prying tools as mentioned, order OE touchup paint in a spray can as well as clear coat. Watch youtube and learn to prep the area and touch up the paint and then buff it smooth. Fair warning being that color is going to be a bitch to try and match perfect and you may end up making it look worse or mutli colored. Sometimes its easier to drop it off somewhere and have someone to take it back to if it isnt right. Im guessing that small of a spot is going to be cheaper than you think.

jamo922

YIKES! There are better ways to remove stuck doors. Do you have any experience with body work? Body hammer and blocks, if you can behind that area. Paint work? Going to have to sand and smooth out the "break line" and could blend it back in.

Yea but it seemed like a good idea at the time

Top Bottom