Is seeing oil here normal?

jpone

I adjusted my parking brake, and removed brake rotors in the process. Noticed oil down inside at what looks like where the axle tube ends.

Sorry not a mechanic by any means, so torturing this description.

Is this normal or is there some type of axle seal on the end that is leaking?

Didn't think to snap a pic, and don't want to pull everything apart again.

BaddestCross

I adjusted my parking brake, and removed brake rotors in the process. Noticed oil down inside at what looks like where the axle tube ends.

Axle seal leaking. Keep an eye on it as it will eventually get worse and blow gear oil all over everything in the wheel well. Ask me how I know... 😎

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

J

JKDream

Assuming it's the rear axle you are talking about, that is normal. The oil comes down the tubes to lube the axle shaft bearings at the end of the housing.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Bad axle seal. Like BaddestCross said it will get worse. Not exactly a typical DIY repair either. You need to pull the shaft, remove the bearings and seal, and press new bearings and seal onto the shaft. Can be done at home, but without a press you would likely screw it up. Easy enough to pull the shaft and bring it to a shop to get the bearings done though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
Have you re-geared recently? I've seen them start to leak after re-using the old seals during a gear job. Here was mine, soaking the brake pads. Second pic, there's the "wedding ring" on top, that has to be cut off, then the bearing pulled, the seal is under the bearing.

View attachment 303398 View attachment 303399

jpone

Yup. What was said above. Rear axle should have oil in the tubes. Front axle should not.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Thanks for feedback here. Definitely talking about rear axle. Took it apart again to inspect, and also decided to replace rear brake pads after the earlier ebrake adjustment because everything got knocked loose and started making noise

So the oil is definitely isolated to just around the end of the axle tube. Everything else in there is bone dry and I have since learned here, and from a trusted mechanic, it's normal to have that trace of oil in that location.

Was worthwhile to crack it back open, clean it up properly and replace pads. All smooth now.

Thanks again for the help!

Couldn't be a bigger fan of this site and the advice available here.

Top Bottom