Strongest skid plates

rockwell

After 2 seasons of wheeling my Rockhard engine skid is crushed enough that it should be replaced soon. I do like the skid but I need to find something a little stronger. Is there anything out there a little thicker or more resistant to bowing in?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
After 2 seasons of wheeling my Rockhard engine skid is crushed enough that it should be replaced soon. I do like the skid but I need to find something a little stronger. Is there anything out there a little thicker or more resistant to bowing in?

Clearly, I'm not playing hard enough. Hell, I don't even have an engine skid on Moby.

Coop

Caught the Bug
I must say I have to agree with Eddie and I-Eat-Mud. The MORE engine skid I’ve been running for the last three years is pretty much scratch free. It’s more of a mud shelf.

rubiDave

I've got the same skid and there are no scracthes on it around the oil pan. I did have one low speed belly crawl that put a significant dent near the exhaust cross over and tweaked the extension that bolts to the driver side frame - amazing how easily the 3/16 steel bends. From the looks of it the Jeep probably would have survived just fine without the skid and money could have been better spent being put towards a lift for more clearance.
20180312_134143.jpeg
20180312_133105.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

salXK

Is there a list of recommended skids to have or a minimum to have installed. I haven’t even looked under my Jeep yet to see what came with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is there a list of recommended skids to have or a minimum to have installed. I haven’t even looked under my Jeep yet to see what came with it.

Your Jeep comes with just about every skid you need and not even as a bare minimum. Your oil pan and depending on the year and transmission you have, you could benefit from some protection there but really, that's about it.

Chris1015

Glad I can differ my money into other things...actually thought maybe an oil pan skid or something along that variety might be a wise choice to consider saving for. 👍🏻

fiend

Caught the Bug
Glad I can differ my money into other things...actually thought maybe an oil pan skid or something along that variety might be a wise choice to consider saving for. [emoji1303]

I dunno what year and model you have, but I can tell you I crawled under a buddy’s 2015 JKU a while back and saw his AT lines very exposed and with no protection. I think Jeep changed the transmission skid at one point from a plate to a bar. I would consider getting some protection for that. Otherwise, the stock transfer case and gas tank skid hold up fine.

Last edited:

BaddestCross

I dunno what year and model you have, but I can tell you I crawled under a buddy’s 2015 JKU a while back and saw his AT lines very exposed and with no protection. I think Jeep changed the transmission skid at one point from a plate to a bar. I would consider getting some protection for that. Otherwise, the stock transfer case and gas tank slide hold up fine.
☝️ This. If you don't have the plate, get a transmission skid.

I did the oil pan and EVAP canister because I didn't want to relocate it.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

zimm

Caught the Bug
Yeah the stock 2012+ auto transmission line is hanging out in the breeze.

I bent my rock hard to the point it was hitting the cross over pipe. I put it out on the sidewalk and 2lb sledge hammered it back to flat pretty easily. Wear hearing protection, and check your 6 for little old ladies walking their dogs (whoops).

A.J.

Glad I can differ my money into other things...actually thought maybe an oil pan skid or something along that variety might be a wise choice to consider saving for. [emoji1303]

Pretty much my thinking as well. I have always worried about the oil pan but the factory transfer case skid and gas tank are what take the hits. I ended up buying the cheap shittybuilt oil pan/trans skid and fishbone evap skid. Just a little cheap insurance.

I've been running a River Raider Oil / trans skid for about two years now and its held up nicely to the hits its taken. They have an option with their skids were you can get what is basically a rubber mat that's bolted onto the bottom of the skid to absorb some of the blow. I don't know how hard you wheel your jeep but might be worth a look.

WJCO

Meme King

Honestly if your 3/16" skid is that bad that it has to be replaced, I don't see how the 1/4" would benefit you more. I don't want to sound like a critic, but pick better lines. I can't think of any other skid that will help you out more.

Top Bottom