Replacement torque converter advice

G-mansjk

I'm unfortunately looking at replacing my torque converter in my 08 jku 42rle. I have little experience with auto transmissions as I have always owned standard transmissions before this. Do any of you have recommendations for a good quality low stall torque converter? I've heard good things about ats torque converters ams trannys but I'm not sold. I don't want a cheap piece of crap but at the same time I'm looking to dump this turd for a late model jk with the 6 speed manual asap.Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
You have a 6spd manual now? You make it sound like installing a torque converter will turn your 6spd into an automatic....

G-mansjk

No I'm replacing the torque converter in this jeep.. then looking to upgrade to a manual later model jk. Just don't know enough about automatic parts. I've dealt with centerforce and luk with clutches and trust them. Looking for reliable brands for torque converters

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
Gotcha, I read that wrong. I'm no help on the 42rle, sorry. Maybe someone else can chime in. Be careful because lots of "aftermarket" converters are just rebuilt stock ones that they "upgrade" the internals to get a higher stall. I put cheap $100 converter (TCI?) in my old muscle car and it puked fluid all over the driveway. Turned out the input was oval instead of round and ate the seal. I replaced it with a more expensive B&M and it was good to go.

WJCO

Meme King
Find a reputable trans shop in your area or talk to ats diesel. There are options out there, but talk to someone who does it on a regular basis. Just using Yelp may be a way to find a tranny shop with good reviews. I did that up here and it was very refreshing to find someone who used their brain, didn't try to upsell, and actually fixed my problem.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Believe it or not I took mine to double A mco. At the time I can only get a remanufactured one. I even checked with the dealer and it was the same answer as well however they wanted to charge a s*** ton to do it. Aamco rebuilt with rebuild it cost me I think little over $2,600.

Top Bottom