'15 JKU Manual issues

BeepBeepImAJeep

So I have a 2015 JKU with the 6 speed manual and have been having a lot of issues recently with it. For starters the slave cylinder is giving me an issue again (the old creaking clutch garbage) but it has evolved beyond that. I have now had it pop out of first when accelerating from a dead stop or grind when shifting DOWN into 2nd more times than I can count. In addition, there is this weird clicking that shows up only when accelerating hard or towing a large load (like 2k lbs +) and its repetition matches engine speed not road speed . To top it all off, there is this weird cyclic very low frequency rumble in the entire car that ONLY exists while in 2 hi. Shifting into 4 hi for a few seconds makes it go away immediately and will stay gone for about 30 sec to a min after shifting back into 2 hi which is noticed by an accompanied shutter/shaking of the entire car for about a second and a very loud thump and the subsequent return of the low rumbling in the drive train. I just picked it up from a Jeep dealership to which they said "The jeep is running 100% normal." And when I questioned them that popping out of second on the inability to downshift into 2nd (albeit this only happens occasionally ) is normal and their manager looked me in the eye and said that the jeep doesnt exhibit that and as such it is running normal, and he then questioned me if I was certified to work on engines. When I told him Yes I am certified to work on 2 stroke and 4 stroke motorcycle engines, I could tell he was hoping to just write me off as a stupid owner. Needless to say I asked him to sign the document saying my jeep was working 100% normal so that way if I lose 1st gear trying to accelerate into traffic and get creamed by someone that the
So does anyone else have any of these issues and know specifically how to fix them or have a good recommendation on a mechanic in the Reno, NV area that can tell the difference between a box wrench and a socket wrench?

Edit: Also my jeep just hit the 50k mile mark and I have even done a drain and fill of the transmission with royal purple synchro max about 5k miles ago hoping this would fix it. It didn't but it did make the issues less frequent.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
That sounds like a lot of abnormal issues for a Jeep that isn’t that old. If I remember correctly, Eddie and Cindy had well over 100k miles on Moby before they thought they had issues (turned out to actually be the rear axle).

I have a 14 6spd and do not have any of those issues. Is it an option to take it to another dealership and get a second opinion?

Do you regularly tow over 2k+ like you said?

BeepBeepImAJeep

That sounds like a lot of abnormal issues for a Jeep that isn’t that old. If I remember correctly, Eddie and Cindy had well over 100k miles on Moby before they thought they had issues (turned out to actually be the rear axle).

I have a 14 6spd and do not have any of those issues. Is it an option to take it to another dealership and get a second opinion?

Do you regularly tow over 2k+ like you said?

I wouldn't call it regular. Its typically only during the summer and maybe once a month? Its just my jet ski so its not like I am dragging stumps or something with my jeep.
For the second dealership I feel they will give me the same run around. They will diagnose it by driving it a whooping 12 miles with the windows rolled up and the radio on and wont be able to hear any of the issues and just look at me like I am stupid. I get that feeling because I had to have my slave cylinder replaced after putting an amazing 5,000 miles on the jeep and that was a similar situation. Slave cylinder was going bad, left the vehicle with my mother and asked her to go get it fixed when I got deployed, came back 6 months later from deployment and she said they said nothing abnormal its running fine. Furious I drove to the dealership to talk to their sales manager (since their service was closed) and asked him if my clutch sound "normal". With the engine off stepped on the clutch and a loud creak came out sounding like it was 20 year old suspension flexing for the first time in a decade... It was then that they set up another appointment with me and fixed it. I don't have time to hold the hands of these so called "mechanics" that Mopar has certified and that is why I asked if anyone has any recommendations for a private mechanic instead.

Bear in mind, roughly 90% of the 50k miles were freeway miles just commuting to/from work and the last 9% were city streets or dirt roads and maybe 1% of that was actual off roading/rock crawling. This jeep has rarely been used to its actual potential. So it has not been abused or even driven hard...

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
check your driveshafts too. I had what i thought for sure was clutch/trans issue (07 6 speed) and it turned out that the rear driveshaft had a horribly shot bearing in one of the u joints... I wonder why 4 hi makes it better. Do the issues stay away the entire time in 4 hi?

BeepBeepImAJeep

check your driveshafts too. I had what i thought for sure was clutch/trans issue (07 6 speed) and it turned out that the rear driveshaft had a horribly shot bearing in one of the u joints... I wonder why 4 hi makes it better. Do the issues stay away the entire time in 4 hi?

I don't know if it would be the driveshift though since one of the issues is that like clicking noise that comes up that sounds like the JKs that had a cracked exhaust manifold and its frequency changes by engine rpm, not road speed. I wasnt able to find a crack in mine and that noise isnt around 100% of the time, only if I am accelerating hard or towing and accelerating.
As for the the 4hi, as far as I can tell it does but I dont extactly have the capability to drive around in 4hi for a few days to try that.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Does the clicking change when you press- depress the clutch? Don’t need to drive for days just a few miles.. if you drive a few miles in 4 hi and the issues go away that’s a good clue

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BeepBeepImAJeep

Does the clicking change when you press- depress the clutch? Don’t need to drive for days just a few miles.. if you drive a few miles in 4 hi and the issues go away that’s a good clue

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

No the clicking is always there under medium to heavy acceleration or towing. And the issue only goes away while I am driving in 4hi and for a short time after shifting back to 2hi.

Top Bottom