How much compression in front driveshaft, 2008 jkr, auto trans

BobNH

Some tool flew out of a parking lot and we ended up tearing his drivers side from drivers door through the bumper. Unfortunately, given his angle of attack, it broke off my bumper end cap, tore off my fender, gave a nasty toe out condition and shoved the tire back about 2", and bent in my LCA, all on driver's side.
My question is around the impact the driveshaft may have given to the pinion and transfer case. I know it compresses and extends for flex, but at drive height how much compression is left?
No chance for adjuster until tomorrow, just wondering on that as the other item that happened is it now vibes at idle, so not sure if trans and xfer got boned, or just skid bolts pressing into xmember now.
Sucks too. 2 hours from home, and 126 miles with no rental places open. Everything has to wait until tomorrow.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Sorry that happened to you. I am laying under my Jeep now torquing the bolts up. I snapped this photo for you. Not sure how much shaft is inside the sleeve on the pinion side but I would say at ride height there would be about 2” of travel in or out. If you still running factory front shaft and lifted your Jeep, you’ll have more than less of in travel.
IMG_6836.jpg

Last edited:

BobNH

My JE REEL driveline at ride height has about three inches till it would bottom out

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Sorry that happened to you. I am laying under my Jeep now torquing the bolts up. I snapped this photo for you. Not sure how much shaft is inside the sleeve on the pinion side but I would say at ride height there would be about 2” of travel in or out. If you still running factory front shaft and lifted your Jeep, you’ll have more than less of in travel.
View attachment 303866
Thank you both, and especially for the pic and kind thoughts VeruGE-everyone good, no one hurt, just a very destructive angled glancing blow.
Mine is stock driveshaft, stock height, no lift. The splines on mine were still visible so hopefully that is a good sign.

jdofmemi

That sucks.

Glad to hear you are ok. That is most important.

Your case MAY be ok, but even though the axle is back 2" now, usually things move farther, then spring back some.

You are correct to be concerned about the transfer case. Even if it is not broken now, it could be stressed enough to fail later, and then it would be hard to get coverage for it.

Make sure it gets checked thoroughly, and good luck with the recovery.

BobNH

That sucks.

Glad to hear you are ok. That is most important.

Your case MAY be ok, but even though the axle is back 2" now, usually things move farther, then spring back some.

You are correct to be concerned about the transfer case. Even if it is not broken now, it could be stressed enough to fail later, and then it would be hard to get coverage for it.

Make sure it gets checked thoroughly, and good luck with the recovery.
Thanks, appreciate that. I will hope my local dealer is in the Nationwide "On You Side" repair network. 90% is mechanical damage, and I trust them to do a good job, but if they are in network, it is guaranteed for life of the repaired items. Makes me laugh a bit as usual, because if it breaks, isn't that the end of it's life lol.

Top Bottom